Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Control Arm Bushing
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you don't have a shop press or air chisel, taking them to a machine shop is the best option. BEFORE you do anything with them, measure the distance between the arms and write it down. Those arms will bend very easily from force applied to remove the bushings. The PROPER way to remove them is with a shop press. Look at the shaft between the bushing and bolt hole. There are 2 flat areas. I made a thick, U shaped washer to fit those flats. Holding the arm verticle in a press, you push on the shaft and the washer will push the bushing out. You MUST have a piece of pipe under the arm large enough for the bushing to pass thru and long enough for the shaft and bushing to travel far enough for the bushing to release. You can see the diameter of the bushing reduces just inside the arm and once it is pushed to the point, the bushing will fall out. Without proper support below, the arm will flex and bend instead of the bushing moving. Some lubricant will help the bushing "pop", which is how it will most likely move instead of smoothly.

If you want to do this at home, drill out the rubber first with a bit smaller than the thickness of the rubber. This is accomplished by walking the bit around the full diameter and it will eventually grab what's left o and pull it out. Then you can use a punch to tap the outer shell of the bushing out of the arm. I never burn the rubber as I am averse to the black soot floating everywhere and the stink lasts a long time....