Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - control arm bushings
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Best way to get the ball joint loose from the spindle is remove the brake caliper and use a piece of coat hanger or some zip ties and Hang the caliper up somewhere just to keep it from hanging off the line, remove the cotter keys loosen the nut on the upper and lower Bj's and leave the nut about halfway on and then smack the hell out of the side of the spindle right where the stud goes through, I couple of good hits with a BFH will knock em loose faster than you can stick the pickle fork in there, I haven't used a pickle fork in a good 15 years, This trick woks on tie rod ends too. then before you take off the nut, remove the shock .Place a floor jack with a small block of wood, flatter and wider is better, under the control am in the middle of the inside of the control arm where it connects to the frame is, jack it up to where you just have the weight of the car on it then remove the 2 pivot bolt nuts and screw the bolts out , then slowly lower the jack, till the spring falls out. that way you are not in danger of being hit by the spring.then unscrew the ball joint nuts then after the bushings and ball joints are replaced install the ball joints into the spindle and the just do the reverse of removal. If you have no idea what I'm telling you to do just take it to a shop. its not a hard project, but you will need basic tools and some common sense.