Hot Rod Forum banner

Conv. Top Material Choice ? ?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Theresa Shank 
#1 ·
We have a Shay ( Fiberglass reproduction of 1929 Ford Model A Roadster) it currently has a Short Grain Vinyl top and side curtains that have lasted since 1980. We are looking at putting on a new top kit from Mac's Antique Auto. Question is to go with a variety of black vinyl top that are available or go with black canvas top? We would be using black color in either but I remember bring parked next to guy with a black canvas top at a car show and he spent all day with a Static Roller trying to keep it looking half way decent. Anyone have experience with maintaining black canvas type top?? We have talked to some who have gone from vinyl to canvas and they stated that canvas had less noise in the wind going down the road. Price is not a big factor as the canvas top is less than $100.00 more than vinyl . . THANKS THERESA

#2 · (Edited)
Is this actual canvas, or is it acrylic made to look like canvas? Actual canvas would be made of 100% cotton, which would make it susceptible to shrinking, fading, and dry rotting. Acrylic keeps its color for an extremely long time. If I were you, I'd try to go with Haartz Stayfast, Topline, or Twillfast. All of these are acrylics that will look great, hold their color, and last a long long time.

I just looked at Mac's website. The "canvas" top material is $51.95 a yard, which leads me to believe it is more than just canvas, although it does not say what the fiber content is.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have received the sample chart and fabric samples from Mac's but it does not state what is the actual material composition. It states that they are " Precision-manufactured to OE Specs" but that does not tell you a lot. The canvas material feels more like a cotton base and of course the vinyl is what it is, but all samples feel that they are of quality material. I guess our biggest concern it what type of maintenance would a canvas cover require? The canvas material has a flat color while the vinyl is more of a gloss type finish. Car lives a good life being kept in a garage and only driven in nice weather if at all possible... THANKS THERESA

#5 ·
Checked out catalog and furnished material samples from Mac's Auto. Vinly is glossy and shiny and canvas IS treated with some type of plasctic material It is not your 50's style boat canvas. Do any of you have expirence with LONG TERM maintenance on this type material installed... THANKS , , ,THERESA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.