Conversion from diesel to 305 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 07:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Conversion from diesel to 305

My buddy wants to trade trucks. He has an 81 chevy diesel Silverado long bed, mines a 81 Custom deluxe short bed. I'm gonna put my 305 and 700R4 in it if possible.. Does anyone know what kind of mess this could become? Wiring and fuel are different, are these problems easy to get around? Anything else i'm forgetting?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

I have the same year truck that was converted from diesel to gas.
You need to find a 12 volt switched wire for the ignition, also there are heaters in the fuel tanks that need to be disabled.
I changed the master cylinder over to vacuum assist instead of power. Fuel lines might come up wrong side of frame but Im not sure.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Just curious as to why you would want to switch to a long bed over a SWB...? And to do all that work...?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:29 AM

Always liked the long bed, it seem's more useable. I didn't know about the heaters in the tank, they would be a switched power source wouldn't they? Maybe I could tap into them? Nothing more to worry about though huh?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:05 PM

A bunch of questions:
Is the diesel running OK? GM had some of those diesels that were absolutely fantastic, but there was a different one that was junk. I had an 87 that was absolutely fantastic. It had over 300,000 miles on it, and if I plugged it in over night when it was cold (below 0) it would fire up just like it was 80 degrees. You don't want to park an old one inside an attached garage because they smell like diesels. It was a 1 ton dually, and I mounted a suburban body on the chassis. It would get over 18 MPG on the highway pulling a car trailer. And it WOULD PULL THE CAR TRAILER!! I loaned it to a friend of my son who needed to move. They parked it on the street, and it got torched. The radio didn't work, but that didn't matter much because there is a difference between the sound insulation in a diesel body and a gas engine body--the noise made a radio useless.
My experience with 305 engines, 700R4 transmissions and Chevy Trucks is real bad. OK, my truck was old, but so was my Diesel. 305's are OK for Chevelles and Nova's, but for a truck, you need a 350.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.