convert from 4 lug to 5 lug - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2004, 03:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

convert from 4 lug to 5 lug

how do you convert a 4 lug axle to a 5 lug?, so i can put 5 lug rims in the front and the rear. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

What on ?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:11 PM

in a car, it is a FORD TAUNUS GT (a car from argentina, go to this site for some pictures http://www.clubtaunus.com.ar/Made_Argentina.htm ), i don't have it yet, but in a couple of months my granddad is going to give it to me and i'm thinking of making some changes to the car, like change it to a 5 lug, to put 5 lug rims, replace drum brakes to disk, making it handle better, and more horsepower.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
I think you are jumping the gun. You don't want to know how to "change four lug to five lug" you want to know "how to change an Argentinean Taunus GT from four lug to five lug". That is where you need to start, getting in touch with people who know this car. It is not built or even distributed here, few people if any on this forum will know the car even exists (I didn't) let alone what parts would be needed to make the swap.

It is possible this car is based on another car we may know here in the states, but I couldn't tell you which one. You may be able to get bolt on parts to swap it over to five lug. But then again, there may be no such parts and you would have to remove the the axles and bring them to a qualified machine shop and have them redrilled and install new studs in the holes.

This may not be possible, depending on the size and shape of the axle flange.

Cesar, I suggest you slow down a little on your plans and get to know the car a lot better before you jump into it. There are LOTS of super well handling cars with four lug wheels, there are LOTS of custom wheels for four lug.

Just get in touch with people who hot rod these cars and you will see all kinds of stuff that can be done.

Don't be disappointed if the your grandpa tells you he can't get it to you. I had a custmer get a couple of cars out of Argentina and it was very costly. The government wants a big chunk of money in fees, many times its more than the car is worth.

I did a search on the Taunus and it appears it is German! Taunus forum (click here) or check this one Ford Capri/Taunus forum (click here) .

It appears the car has the same "Platform" as the Mercury Capri that was made in Germany but sold here in the states in the 1970s.

If you can't find an engish forum, use a translater like Altavista.com has and post a question. What the heck, you have nothing to loose.

I know one thing, a V6 Capri was a little fireball. I remember taking them off my dads used car lot and smoking the tires with them.

Last edited by MARTINSR; 11-25-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Probably the same pattern as a Capri/Mustang11................There are lot's of 4 lug wheels that will fit and look good. I did this with Mustang 11 whells on my Zepher.

Budget RVs
Old 11-25-2004, 07:50 PM

Thank you guys for the info.
I found out that the engine on my grandpa's Taunus(2.3 Liter) is the same engine that American Mustangs used during the late 70's and 80's( Pinto engine), i am not sure if the carb is the same or some parts are slightly different. one more thing, i have seen some rims that say only for rear wheel drive, or only front wheel drive. What is the difference between them, and what would happen if i put FWD wheels on a RWD car?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The offset is probably diffferent. FWD wheels tend to be much deeper in the back. Your tires would be way in the wheelwells.

Budget RVs
Old 11-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cesar9
Thank you guys for the info.
I found out that the engine on my grandpa's Taunus(2.3 Liter) is the same engine that American Mustangs used during the late 70's and 80's( Pinto engine), i am not sure if the carb is the same or some parts are slightly different. one more thing, i have seen some rims that say only for rear wheel drive, or only front wheel drive. What is the difference between them, and what would happen if i put FWD wheels on a RWD car?
There are TONS of high performance parts for those Pinto motors. They have been a favorite in dune buggies, small race cars, air planes ("Pinto beans" is one company) they are a SUPER dependable little motor. Check out this site (Click here)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.