Hot Rod Forum banner

Converter lockup, how do you tell?

980 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  troy-curt 
#1 ·
I have a 700R4 and have it wired up so that the converter should lock up. I have this switched so I can turn it on and off but notice no difference between switch positions, should I? How can I tell if the converter is locking up? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
This is a good question, because I've got a 200R4 and the TCI switchable control. The switch doesn't seem to do anything. All I know is when it shifts into 4th my rpms drop waaaay down. Other times, it seems like it is locked up in other gears too.

#5 ·
There is 2 shifts, then overdrive. which feels like 3 shifts. You should be able to hear and feel the lockup take place.

Sometimes when I think mine is not working, I touch the brake pedal at cruising speed , and feel the difference. Also there is a 300-400 rpm change.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#6 ·
Ok,
So if I am making it into overdrive (3 shifts) then the converter is locking up??

I guess now another question that this brings to my mind is the 700r4 a true 4 speed transmission or is the converter lockup what gives you the final drive ratio??

If I just had three pedals and a stick coming out of the floor this would be alot simpler for me :)

#7 ·
The converter locking up (like a clutch and pressure plate) is independent of the gears you have available from your transmission.

The easiest way to feel, stab the throttle briefly at a fairly slow speed but still in O/D (4th). If the revs jump, but the car doesn't you're not locked up. If the revs can't jump and it feels like it would if you stabbed the throttle with a manual - you are locked up.

The 'shift' feeling comes from when the converter locks up. It is no longer allowed to slip so the revs drop a little at speed and it can feel like a slight shift to some people.

Lance, you're certain you wired up a switched negative lead to the converter?

edit - btw, do you guys use a vaccum switch to help work the lockup feature?

#8 ·
Thats the way they are wired from the factory, through the brake light switch.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.