Converter Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Converter Question

If you take the automatic transmission and torque converter out of your vehicle should the torque converter spin freely on the input shaft and does spinning the converter also cause the output shaft to spin with it?? If the converter spins and the output shaft does not is the converter stripped and need to be replaced?? Also how easy should it be to rotate the input shaft without the converter on it? Could it be rotated with your bare hand or would you need a pair of channel locks to spin the input and output shafts??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
More for Less Racer

Converter should spin easily by hand with a slight drag. Spinning the converter will not spin the output shaft, there is no direct connection between the two. Turning the input by bare hand will take a very good strong grip, easier to do with a pair of pliars. Will turn easier in one direction than it does the other. Output will also be fairly hard to turn by hand, just smooth even drag with pliars or a spare yoke installed.

There is very little you can diagnose with an automatic by spinning shafts or converter because you are not spinning the front pump fast enough to make any pressure to run the hydraulic apply circuits and clutch pistons in the trans.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks Eric, New Question

If turning the input shaft with pliers turns the output shaft why doesn't the output shaft turn when the converter is placed over the input shaft and turned? I understand the two shafts are not one shaft but they are connected aren't they? Otherwise what causes the output shaft to turn the driveline?

That aside my problem is the splines inside the torque converter don't appear to be matching up with the splines on the input shaft. When the trans was installed it was working fine and then suddenly while doing 70 on the freeway I was in neutral, except I was still in gear. No warning, no noises, no smoke, just no more pull. The pan was very clean and the fluid still had good color. Very little foreign matter on the filter, and when I disconnected the cooling line and started the truck fluid was flowing with pressure in every gear until there was nothing left to blow ( about 1 3/4 gallons ). Can't even turn the wheels when they are in the air, but it did make that whining noise when put in gear. As a matter of fact the engine even stopped slowing down when I shifted from park to reverse and neutral to drive. I've gone so far as to order a new converter because I was sure that had to be the problem. Could I be wrong???What do you think? should I cancel that order?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmker
If turning the input shaft with pliers turns the output shaft why doesn't the output shaft turn when the converter is placed over the input shaft and turned? I understand the two shafts are not one shaft but they are connected aren't they? Otherwise what causes the output shaft to turn the driveline?

That aside my problem is the splines inside the torque converter don't appear to be matching up with the splines on the input shaft. When the trans was installed it was working fine and then suddenly while doing 70 on the freeway I was in neutral, except I was still in gear. No warning, no noises, no smoke, just no more pull. The pan was very clean and the fluid still had good color. Very little foreign matter on the filter, and when I disconnected the cooling line and started the truck fluid was flowing with pressure in every gear until there was nothing left to blow ( about 1 3/4 gallons ). Can't even turn the wheels when they are in the air, but it did make that whining noise when put in gear. As a matter of fact the engine even stopped slowing down when I shifted from park to reverse and neutral to drive. I've gone so far as to order a new converter because I was sure that had to be the problem. Could I be wrong???What do you think? should I cancel that order?
Turning the input shaft will NOT turn the output shaft without a clutch pack being engaged , which takes transmission pressure . It sounds to me like it very well could be the torque converter since you are making pressure . Also there is no way you could spin the torque converter by hand fast enough to turn the input shaft . You have to understand what a torque converter does . But that would take more time and space than I care to devote .
Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Almost forgot

We are talking about a 1994 Dodge 4x4 with the 5.2 liter 318 and the four speed A518 transmission with overdrive. The converter and overdrive are electronically controlled by solenoids located in the pan.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM

So why respond at all, Dick??

I appreciate ************************************************** *****************************.

Last edited by Crosley; 08-24-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmker
I appreciate ************************************************** *****************************.
So sorry that I offended you troublemaker . And thanks to Crosley for the edit . It made me blush when I read it . I have never , I repeat , never been talked to like that in my life . I am not at all an arrogant person . Sorry if I came across that way , I just meant that it would take a book to explain how a torque converter and automatic transmission work . I do hope you get your vehicle back on the road again troublemaker , and enjoy many years of hot rodding .

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.