Converter Thefts - ("Heads Up") - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Converter Thefts - ("Heads Up")

We've had a couple of recent thefts of catalytic convertors in this small area.

2007+ Dodge with 6.7 diesel.

The first report was from a customer that was selling a truck, and the second instance was on the radio morning news.

The news reported that the owner was in the shopping mall and came out just in time to see two guys getting into a "getaway car" with his converter and a cordless sawzall in hand.

So what's the motivation, you ask?
These things are retailing for $6,300.00+ at your friendly neighborhood Dodge dealership!

It's just crazy when you have to install a lock & chain on your exhaust system, isn't it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Common in this area. I have lost thousands of dollars to thieves with battery sawzalls..

It has gotten so bad in this area that the local municipalities are proposing laws to require all scrap sellers, including general public, to obtain a permit to sell..

I live on a dirt road in the boonies. I am constantly finding complete new plastic truck fuel tanks, less pump assembly, discarded in the ditch.. RAM dealer is about five miles away just off I-75.

Lately they have been hitting Ford truck dealers. Got over 40 new wheels and tires from one and 36 from another..
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

What are they using for Cat guts now? Still Platinum? That stuff is pricey.
A while back I heard of many being stolen around here, same thing, right in Parking Lots etc...
I saw/read somewhere not long ago where a theif was killed while trying to steal a Cat, vehicle fell on him.
Found it, not too far from where I live.
Man crushed by car while trying to steal car part | Online Athens
Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64 View Post
What are they using for Cat guts now? Still Platinum? That stuff is pricey.
A while back I heard of many being stolen around here, same thing, right in Parking Lots etc...
I saw/read somewhere not long ago where a theif was killed while trying to steal a Cat, vehicle fell on him.
That is so damn cool! I hate thieves. We get them on a regular basis at the shop. And the Cats are only the start, how about thieves steeling the wire out of a school for the copper! How about all the copper pipes from under vacant houses! A co-worker of mine rented a house and the first night he found he had no water, himmm, main valve turned off. He turned it on and went in the house to again, no water, heard water under the house and looked to see that all the pipes were gone and the water was running out of the main under the house!

How about the rotten scum steeling brass objects at cemeteries or statues at parks! YEP, we have had both, how about aluminum railing from the sides of hiways! These scum work harder than if they just got a friggin job!

Brian
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Houses with aluminum siding and copper pipes stripped are common site in Flint, Mi.. An old girlfriend of mine went on vacation for a week. Came home to a house with no plumbing, wireing and the thieves didn't turn the water off. Tri level with eight ft. of water in the first floor.

Man hole covers from the streets.. Aluminum stabilizer wires from utility poles. Local cemetary had to enclose cript air conditioning in fence and barbed wire. Churches moving air conditioning units to the roof. Trying to thwart theives.

They broke into the business across the street last week. A wood recycler. They stole the tracks off the Bobcats and hundreds of gallons of fuel..
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Copper wire / plumbing thefts are out of hand here as well, and they are also pushing scrap dealers to at least get and record ID from the seller.

I've also confirmed that cat convert thefts (in general) have been going on for some time now. In fact, they are selling theft-deterrent cages for them!
www.catclamp.com

I'm speculating, however, that these Dodge Trucks are vehicle-specific targets based solely on the replacement cost???

PS.
The car falling on the theif was a bit of "poetic justice".
Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

No fear of a truck in your neck of the woods falling on anybody 66GMC. More likely need a short stepladder to reach the cat after they casually walk under it. LOL!!
I was out drivin' on the QE2 over turkey weekend! DRove right thru OLds twice.
Everybodies drivin' jacked up monster trucks. Even the city dwellers have them.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Last photo:

Have also heard of a few in my area.

Vince
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Quote:
So would that be considered "Carma"?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
GOOD!!! I've had all kinds of stuff stolen off me in the past few years. Every time I look I find something else missing. I never seemed to get much attention from the local authorities until somebody stole a car from me and left it in the middle of a road.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2 View Post
GOOD!!! I've had all kinds of stuff stolen off me in the past few years. Every time I look I find something else missing. I never seemed to get much attention from the local authorities until somebody stole a car from me and left it in the middle of a road.
So how much did the law fine you for that?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

That has to be a typo. The car can't cost $6,300 to replace -- about 1/4 the cost of the vehicle. $630 I'd believe. Aftermarket direct fits are $200 or less, the dealer may charge 3x as much, but that's a far cry from $6K+!!

Trucks are the more likely victims. Easy to get under them and get the cat out quick and easy. All for $100 for a scrap cat (some as low as $30, high as $200). I didn't think they were that much, so Googled it and came up with this site:
We buy scrap catalytic converters Nation Wide! Prices Updated Monthly on our Catalog.
Didn't think they would be that easy to sell either.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
So how much did the law fine you for that?
I figured that I'd get a tow bill but I haven't yet and that has been a couple of months. They did call me and ask where I wanted it dropped off. I got a nice big heavy duty wrecking bar and a couple of screwdrivers out of the car and found out that our sheriffs department didn't have the equipment to lift prints off of dusty objects such as the bar. They tore the heck out of the steering column and dash, sprung the drivers door and bent the fender backing it into something with the door open. Broke out the passenger window. Must have been real intelligent since they tried to change the rear driver's tire and found they couldn't get it off. (you know how some wheels get rusted to the hub) So apparently they forgot to put the lug nuts back on and that is what stopped them when the wheel fell off and lodged under the car. It was a 1980 Lincoln Town Coupe with a moon roof and the only thing wrong with it was a broken front coil spring. I had all the heavy duty suspension out of a Police Crown Vic that I was going to put under it but now it's probably not worth the effort.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Jeez --- that sucks CF.

Farna: No typo ... Police Report

You can't ask for a more legitimate source.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Down here the Meth heads have taken stealing to a whole new level. Gary, a family friend got on meth, to get extra money to support his and his girlfriends habit, he got with a group of other meth heads to go on a copper run. Gary climbed up a power pole thinking he was going to steal the copper. He grabbed the wrong wire. By the time it blasted him off the pole about 20 feet away, his body was unreconizeable. We were told by his sister he got hit with so much juice it blew his eyeballs out of his skull.
Not long ago I went to the scrap yard to turn in scrap we had laying over after we sold the cows we used to have. I got up there and the guy gave me a list of all the things they would no longer take. THen he told me a guy had showed up a week before with a truck bed full of tombstones, yes, you read that right, tombstones, and was trying to turn them in for scrap. Scrap yards don't take stone. So they stalled him long enough until the cops got there, and the tombstone robber meth head was arrested.
About 6 months ago, a friend of mine's former home back in the woods, was hit. There was only 2 ways to get to his former home, the driveway or the pipe line. There was no tracks in the driveway, so they pain stakingly took it over fences on the pipe line. There was 6 vehicles there, they stole all the radiators, a roll of copper tubing, A huge outside Air Conditioner unit, pulled all the wiring out of the house and took everything and anything that had any scrap value. They had to cross two barbed wire electric fences to get all that stuff out of there, that goes to show the determination meth heads have. Lastly, and this is where it gets good. A big trailor park about 15 miles from here, got hit late one night and about 12 cars had the cat converters stolen. A guy got up to go to work one morning a week later, it was still dark outside, just starting to get daylight. He got in his car, started it, and right away noticed it was really loud. So he shut it off, and walked around the car and seen 2 feet sticking out from under his car, the meth head was taking the cat converter off right then and there. Even when the guy started the car the meth head kept on working, he didn't even bother to try and get out from under the car. The guy grabbed the meth heads feet, pulled him out and started kicking and beating him. Finally the meth head was able to get to his feet and he ran like the wind. So now the guy uses his cell phone to call the law. The meth head, insteading running to the fence, climbing it and running into the woods to hide from the cops, Instead he got a better idea. He ran to the back of the trailor park to the last rowe of trailors. The cops got there and it didn't take long to find him, as they rode by they seen feet and legs sticking out from under a car, he was trying to steal the cat converter off it. It's also been on the news alot here lately the most popular thing stolen is believe it or not, bails of hay. We all thought the crack epidemic was bad.
The meth epidemic is 10 fold worse as meth heads will do ANYTHING as I pointed out in this thread to get another dollar. Meth makes crack look like asprain.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.