Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Convertible on rottiserie
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48cad View Post
Having done several frame off convertibles...... I'm assuming all gaps and panels fit well now? 1" square tubing is cheap. I would brace it, and just not one bar across door openings, triangulate it. Also When you remove body bolts and lift the body off...... draw a diagram of the mounts and take notice of the body shims and their thickness. When you reassemble, there will not be as much guess work when it comes to properly shimming the body. Its amazing what a difference a 1/16th inch shim, the whole way in the rear of the car can make in a door/quarter panel gap.
I agree with everything you've said, noting the shims is extremely important, I always tag and bag every thing as to where it came from, I take off a car, even if I'm replacing it. That way if I have new parts or pieces, I can match them up for size, shape and whatever else I need...Throw the stuff out you don't think you need when your done. I learned the hard way.