Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Convertible on rottiserie
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Bear in mind I usually build older cars which may or may not have the original strength left in them but I have knowledge of 2 different convertibles that ended up with severe problems while being taken off the frame without doors on them. Bracing is cheap and easy. Even if there is only one chance in 20 of having any issues it is not worth taking that chance. One of them folded in half. BRACE IT. I also recommend doing it in such a way that you can hang the doors and verify gaps as you work.

John L
Guys, I have to go with your suggestions, what would it hurt. I have done them but I have never put one of these big sixties convertibles on a rotisserie, there would be a lot of stress and why not, as mentioned, the tubing is cheap and it doesn't take a whole lot of work.

John, you have one the weakest bodies ever, your 36 Roadster, I did one once and that cowl to floor area, holy cow there isn't much support there at all. That and the weight of the doors pulling down. Just unbolt the cowl from the frame and the doors sag.

Brian