Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Convertible on rottiserie
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ray, I was asked how I did this using nothing more than a rottisorie, and simple transforming it into a 4 post lift. No this is not some fancy re-enginnered contraption that a real skilled welder would have to fabricate. There are a lot of guys out there that do not have access to a lift to do this job the easy way, nor in some cases as mine was were even a few strong friends would be able to help out. In my case we are talking about probably one of the heaviest bodys out there, a 57 caddy and a 54 caddy. Beleive me when I say you are not lifting that off the frame with the help of friends. By taking the wheels off this jig you are basicly creating a makeshift 4 post lift that cannot move, even with the weight I was dealing with, I am guessing 3000 to 3500 pounds and that is just the body with doors and trunk still attached. It can be done this way at home without a lift. However if you try this type of lifting with wheels attached, you get into serious trouble real fast because now everything is GOING to move as you try to lift it, becoming EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.