Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Convertible on rottiserie
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Your right, not all people have access to a lift, your right that you would need more manpower than in all probability possible to lift a car that heavy by hand, the older Cadillac is a very heavy body. I also understand and appreciate what your saying, however you make it sound like there is nothing to it, you used words like 'No Sweat It is actually pretty simple" ", "as the 2 caddys I did was by myself", "It can be done this way at home without a lift" and "Common Sense". You also said "Lowering the body is a little tricky as it wants to bind up as you lower it down, just get a big hammer and tap the rottisorie as you lower it down and it will go". It wants to bind, and get a big hammer, those 2 words in the same sentence while working on a "I am guessing 3000 to 3500 pounds and that is just the body with doors and trunk still attached" sound pretty scary to me.

I'm not trying to rag on you but, right now we have 3 people viewing this site, you don't know if they are reading this and saying WOW, I can do it all by myself like Mr. 4speed did. What happens if they try it without any help and the car comes falling down when he's putting the jack stands underneath it? Not everyone may take the time and caution like you did to do it without a catastrophic failure happening. I wouldn't want to be the guy that posted this method of putting a car on a rotisserie in the event that somebody gets injured. It's difficult enough to transfer a vehicle on a rotisserie with proper equipment and help.

Seriously, I was very interested in how you changed your rotisserie into a 4 post hoist but I wouldn't advise anybody to try and do it this way, especially by themselves, I have a conscience and hate to see people get hurt.

I may be completely wrong here, lets hear from other people and if I am wrong, I will publicly apologise.

Ray