Hot Rod Forum banner

Convertible top binding is puckering

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
Building a convertible top for the '29 and having a bit of a binding issue. Straight lines look great, but any curved area wants to pucker. Is it due to the binding not being 'bias cut'??? Using 1" double fold binding. Pictures are mock-up materials, not using the Stayfast material yet. Dont want to waste $65/yd material trying to get the patterns laid out. Side panels and back curtain area where the window will be sewn in are the areas that I'm concerned with. Should I try to find a few yards of bias-cut binding? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
In the first two pictures, the main problem is the curves are very severe. It won't matter what binding you use, the binding on those tight curves will always do that. I don't know what the problem is on the last picture, that should have worked out fine. What is the binding made of? Do you have any padding under the outside edges that curve down? If you don't, eventually you will have wrinkle problems on the main top there too. Regular convertible tops have cables that hold the curve taught and also prevent the top from getting damaged by the air flow while driving.

#3 ·
Thanks Dan...you're right, the oval for the window is only 17x5 1/2 so the curves are a little extreme. Maybe a rectangle instead of the oval...that would take care of the issue on the back curtain. I don't have anything under the sides right now, maybe bowpads would help. The binding is a 1-inch double fold acrylic binding from Rexpegg. It's pretty stiff (think it is pre-treated for water resistance). As always, you have great ideas. Posting a picture of the binding.

Attachments

#4 ·
Do you know if this binding fabric is woven or not? If not, you should find some binding made of bias cut woven acrylic like Sunbrella. The bias cutting may not help much for the tight corners, but it will surely help the edge over your door window. Also, a binding attachment for your sewing machine is not a bad idea either. Sailrite has all the Sunbrella bindings. Give them a call, maybe they have other ideas for you.

#5 ·
Here is another sugestion

I did my window a little different .
I made a hem on the out side from the classic fabric by turning the edge under .

On the inside it was recomended to make a large one piece gasket to go all the way around the window which I did.
I had to add another half metre to my order to make sure I had enough material now. (It costs me $160 /m for the fabric):(

#7 ·
Thanks guys...finally finished!!!

Dan and Jalopy...thanks for all of your advice. Dan - we made some tension springs and cable which work great in holding the sides 'taut' while cruising down the road. Realized that my relief cuts weren't close enough to the edge and that is why my test pattern came out wobbly. Jalopy, ended up just putting a welt around the window and made the window a bit larger - which helps with visibility too!!!! It took all the puckering out of the back :mwink: Posting a couple of pictures of the finished top. It was an interesting process making a top from scratch with no patterns or old tops to look at. The boyfriend is a happy camper and I'm happy that we won't get drenched like rats next time we get caught in the rain - no fenders equals lots of spray inside the cab.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.