Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Convertible top restitching
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Convertible top restitching

Not really a hot rod, but my daily driver has a canvas top.

The piping around the window, and the same on the sides (forms a sort of drip rail) are coming loose in a few spots.

I examined them and there are no tears, it just seems the OEM thread disintegrated. Doesn't seem like the material has shrunk - I think I can get it right back where it was if I could stitch it back together.

Founds some posts to use polyester thread, and have found a source for that, but these areas are at most a few inches long - it's a huge job to get the top off the frame and reinstall it to use a machine, if I even had one.

Seems this would be the type of repair for which hand stitching would be appropriate. I'm pretty sure I can even reuse the old holes and just rethread it.

Am I nuts? I don't mind if it's tedious, but I don't really know if there's a type of stitch that I should use and what sort of needle and thread size. I expect it would be a good idea to extend the repair a little past the problem areas until I connect with solid thread again.

Any advice?