Convertible top well, over the tack strip or under? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,151 Posts
Convertible top well, over the tack strip or under?

Dan, I have the GM assembly manual, I have a video, I have watched numerous videos on youtube (never did I dream something like the net and Youtube would exist when I bought that tape 15 years ago) but nothing is much said about the well. I have looked at cars at the Goodguys and saw a few different ways. One looks like he even forgot to put the well in until after the top was done and he put it over the top of everything with snaps on the tack strip.

Anyway, I have seen them up from under the strip tacked to the tack strip, then the top coming down from the top over the well and tacked to the strip. This makes the most sense as far as ease of installation.

Then I have seen the well come over the top of the tack strip just like the top so you can't see it from the interior when the top is up. With it going from under the back side with the top down you could see it which sounds pretty hoky to me.

But damn would it be a heck of a lot easier to do this whole job with the well coming up from the bottom. To bolt it in with the well going over the top is going to be a pain.

Something just hit me though, the bolts are VERY long that hold that thing in. Is it expected to leave the bolts barely in so the tack strip is away from the body a couple of inches and you staple it like that? I can't imagine the stapler would fit in there but there are a lot of things I can't imagine about this project that I am learning.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Hi Brian: The well goes in after the top is all in place. You attach it to the tacking rails. How you do that it up to you. You can staple it on and put some trim over the staples, Velcro it on, screw it on, or button it on. The simplest way for me is to screw screw studs to the tacking rail and then attach snap fasteners the color of the well fabric to the well fabric and simply snap it in place like a boat cover.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Hi Brian: The well goes in after the top is all in place. You attach it to the tacking rails. How you do that it up to you. You can staple it on and put some trim over the staples, Velcro it on, screw it on, or button it on. The simplest way for me is to screw screw studs to the tacking rail and then attach snap fasteners the color of the well fabric to the well fabric and simply snap it in place like a boat cover.
Ahh, makes sense, thanks.

I did see one that I mentioned with the snaps. But originally (which I could really care less about originality) it was stapled to the back side first wasn't it? Or am I seeing things?

Brian
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'm sure that's possible, especially with OEM stuff being cut exactly to size. It's just way easier to attach it from the front side, however you want to do it.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 PM

I've done dozens of tops over the years. The factory way is to staple the well cover over the tack strip and then tack on top to tack strip. Then you have to hold well cover up and put in bolts. Its a pain in the ---. Sometimes you have to do this many times to get top to fit right. You have to pull the tacking strip out the back of car to staple to it. To me this is the hardest part of the job. You also have to make sure your rear bow is the right height. They have a chart for that. Lately I've been glueing the top to the well where the tack strip goes and making all adjustments and tacking it to rear bow. then I pop rivet it with a strip of metal, then you can staple well cover over top of tack strip and install it. Also works well if your tack strip is shot. Now you are probably really confused.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
I've done dozens of tops over the years. The factory way is to staple the well cover over the tack strip and then tack on top to tack strip. Then you have to hold well cover up and put in bolts. Its a pain in the ---. Sometimes you have to do this many times to get top to fit right. You have to pull the tacking strip out the back of car to staple to it. To me this is the hardest part of the job. You also have to make sure your rear bow is the right height. They have a chart for that. Lately I've been glueing the top to the well where the tack strip goes and making all adjustments and tacking it to rear bow. then I pop rivet it with a strip of metal, then you can staple well cover over top of tack strip and install it. Also works well if your tack strip is shot. Now you are probably really confused.
Yes I am. I was thinking about gluing the well to the body and not even stapling it to the strip. Just glue it in then the top and the tack strip come in and out without a problem. I am thinking I can paint the tack strip black so it doesn't stand out. ???

Brian
Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

One way or another, the tack strip will be covered, why would you need to paint it black?

The last well I installed came with 1 1/2" plastic sewn to the top edge. The plastic was screwed to the tack strip and then the well was folded down over the plastic strip. That was really hard to do, so I improvised.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
One way or another, the tack strip will be covered, why would you need to paint it black?

The last well I installed came with 1 1/2" plastic sewn to the top edge. The plastic was screwed to the tack strip and then the well was folded down over the plastic strip. That was really hard to do, so I improvised.
I was just thinking if I were to glue the well to the body up under where the tack strip mounts, then the top gets stapled to the tack strip on the outside of it coming from the top, when the tack strip is mounted to the body you would see it when the top is up.

Brian
Old 06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You're supposed to be covering the tack strip so that it can't be seen. There are two ways to do that. Either you staple it on the back of the tack strip and then staple the top over it or just staple the top onto the tack strip and put the well in afterward. There's no point to doing it how your describing, you don't gain a thing.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You're supposed to be covering the tack strip so that it can't be seen. There are two ways to do that. Either you staple it on the back of the tack strip and then staple the top over it or just staple the top onto the tack strip and put the well in afterward. There's no point to doing it how your describing, you don't gain a thing.
Ok, now I am clear. First off, that well can go on after, it's sort of an "after thought" kinda thing anyway. Just get that damn top on then put the well, got you.

Brian

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.