Converting A 1971 Monte Carlo 350 From Points To HEI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Converting A 1971 Monte Carlo 350 From Points To HEI

My Son and I are at the last stage of rebuilding his '71 Monte Carlo's 350 from the block up. It's been a long rode with both of us working long hours at work.
The engine had the original Points Distributor, so Dad bought a Summit HEI Distributor.
I know I have to run a new 10 Amp Fused 12ga. wire from the ignition switch to the HEI Bat Terminal to replace the original resistor wire that was for the old points.

The question is, should I replace the Ignition Switch? It is probably original. I'm concerned that the old contacts won't handle the new amp draw of the HEI.
Also, can I splice my new 12ga. wire to the original Distributor wire where the wire comes out of the steering column under the dash? The wiring diagrams show the resistor wire section to be on the engine side of the firewall.

Anything else I should be doing to insure this conversion is done the best way possible?

Thanks for any helpful replies.
JogasZ28

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 AM
stroked c10

when you are upgrading your ignition it is always wise to replace it all. especially that old. better safe than sorry. so yes, new ignition switch. good luck!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 AM

What I did to my 70 Chevelle SS I left the original wire alone and ran a new wire from the coil to the fuse box. It should have an extra spot marked "ign" that you can plug in to. The SS has been running like that for about 28 years now. Dont know if that's the correct way but it works fine.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelless
What I did to my 70 Chevelle SS I left the original wire alone and ran a new wire from the coil to the fuse box. It should have an extra spot marked "ign" that you can plug in to. The SS has been running like that for about 28 years now. Dont know if that's the correct way but it works fine.
Cool.
I'll look for that Fuse Terminal on the Monty.
Thanks.
JogasZ28
Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM

I still use the original ign switch
Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Old 08-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

As I'm going over the Factory Manual Wiring Diagram (fun...fun), I see that the resistor wire to the old points ignition + coil terminal also had a yellow wire going to the starter solenoid. I have confirmed this yellow wire does exist.
As this was originally a reduced voltage, if I put 12 volts thru this yellow wire to the starter solenoid terminal, will I damage the starter solenoid?
BTW, we are planning on replacing the starter.
Thanks for any helpful replies
Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 AM

I don't think so I'm not using it just the purple one.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelless
I don't think so I'm not using it just the purple one.
I talked to Marl Hamilton at:

http://www.madelectrical.com/

He told me I as I'm installing an HEI Distributor, I only needed to
insure that I had a full 12 volts at the starter solenoid. I no longer
needed the resistance wire terminal.
Did I understand him correctly?
I'll tell you, Mark is really passionate about alternators and engine
charging systems wiring.
jogasz28
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 AM

Hello--

I recently did very much the same thing you're trying to do. Mark Hamilton's a great guy, isn't he? He and the late DocVette have taught me a lot. Anyway, here's the upshot of their recommendations:

Use the original resistance wire to trigger a relay, which you mount on the firewall near the HEI. The relay will switch battery current straight from the battery, to your HEI.

The yellow wire coming from the starter will no longer be needed. You can tape it off or remove it. All it did was provide a full 12 volts to the coil when the starter was being engaged and the ignition system needed full voltage. In Run, that wire goes dead, and the coil gets reduced voltage via the resistance wire, since full voltage would stress the ignition system.

With the relay, you'll now have full voltage at all times to the HEI without losing voltage through the dash harness, ignition switch, etc. And your ignition switch is better off than it was before, only having to handle the tiny relay-switching current instead of powering the points distributor. It's win-win!

(Incidentally, Mark also recommends relays for the headlights, and also the starter solenoid. You get full current to the devices without stressing dash components. Also much safer.)

Last edited by 70Caprician; 08-28-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.