Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (
-   -   Converting 3 on the Tree to Auto Column Shift (

8cuda 02-13-2013 02:07 PM

Converting 3 on the Tree to Auto Column Shift
I would like to know if anyone has any guidance on converting a 3 on the tree column to an auto column shift.
I'm starting with a 1950 Ford car column and would like to make an auto column shifter.
Or just buy a after market column or find a used column

MARTINSR 02-13-2013 02:13 PM

I know it's a little hokey but on my 48 Chevy pickup I simply removed one of the arms on the bottom of the column and with the other one ran a rod to the transmission shift lever. I did something to stop the shift arm at the top from going up and down, don't remember what. But that is all I did and drove it for years, no dedents, nothing just shift it into gear and drive it.

johnnyg 02-13-2013 02:29 PM

I did that to a Dodge Van. I got an automatic column and linkage from a junk yard.

Xephius 02-17-2013 08:34 PM

Sounds like we are looking for a similar solution for different makes. I have a '57 Chevrolet 3100 Truck with 3 on the tree, solid column+steering box, no turn signal or ignition. I have pulled my box and column and plan to chop the column off and mate a DD universal joint to the box. Then I am using a 60's Chevy van column with tilt and support for my later model transmission (And turn signals and wipers). You can probably do something similar with your Ford.