Hot Rod Forum banner

converting from 4X4 to 2WD

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  1ownerT 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 1985 S-10 4X4 to be used as a work vehicle I really didn't want a 4X4 but the price of the vehicle was gooood. After getting the truck home and really looking it over I noticed that the CV boots were torn and I think I hear clicking from the CV joints.
My question is can I just remove the CV joints and front axle shafts and leave the axle stub in the hub than remove the front driveshaft?
I don't want to put more money into the truck than I paid for it.
Thanks - Jerry

#2 ·
No -- that would not work.

Don't know your budgetary situation, but I think your choices boil down to replacing the joints when they go if you can tolerate being F.O.R.D. (found on road dead) when they go, replace them now for durability, or just scrapping the truck when they go. My past experience is that replacing them has not been that expensive (if you have a good and reasonable local mechanic)>

#4 ·
A flexible halfshaft does nothing to support the wheel bearing and hub assembly. I see no reason at all that you couldn't take the shafts out completely and just go on.
A while back I did a similar thing to an old Ford Tempo that had originally come with the AWD option. At some point the transmission had already been replaced with one from a standard front drive only Tempo. I not only removed the rear half shafts but the entire rear differential assembly and sent it on it's way. Anyone want to buy a Tempo AWD rear end? Surely there's a helluva market for those! :D
Oh, in your case you'd need to leave the inner stubs in the differential to keep the oil in, I would think. If they snap into place like the shafts on front drive cars, they should stay put.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.