Converting a 50 chevy sedan deluxe from 6v to 12v - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Converting a 50 chevy sedan deluxe from 6v to 12v

I have a customers car at my shop that is having a hard time starting when hot. The car has a 6v system, when the voltage drops below 6v cranking it turns over slow but if the voltage stays above 6v it starts first try. I figured if i change it to 12v I won't have any issues at all. what I need to know is what should be changed and what part # to order, I red that the starter would be fine, which is good because its bin replaced and checked by 3 other shops.
Any info would be appreciated.

And one other thing specs and directions on adjusting valves.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Conversion is not all that hard...but.. You could just switch to a 8 volt battery. Get it at a tractor parts place.

TONS of farmers used them on old tractors with sick motors.

Also, 8 volts was the way to go on the huge Chryslers in the early 50s with Hemi's in colder climates, according to old time mechanics.

Most bulbs will last ok. You do need to adjust the voltage regulator which is easy to do.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

it's not the 6 volt that is making it start hard, it is an externally vented carb, so the fuel gasses out of the fuel bowl.. carb could probably use a rebuild.. my '51 does the same thing, and what I do is pump the gas right after shutting it off, this will give you a primer start and it should fire right off.. I'll post up the valve adjustment's in a min, I have to get my manual out
Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 PM

6V to 12V

I've posted details on this before so if it interests you, you can search the archives.

Basically, you get an old fashioned 12V battery, the kind with the bars on top, and a 12V alternator. Drill and tap a hole in the bar connecting the center cells of the battery.

Hook all of your accessories to the center post and from there to ground you'll have 6V. Hook the 12V alternator to the positive post of the battery and use the full 12V for the starter and starter solenoid.

Otherwise you need to change every bulb and gauge and the radio etc.

Good way to have your 12V cake in your 6V car.

You can also do this by installing two 6V batteries in series with the 12V alternator.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 AM

If I changed to a 8V bat. does anything else have to be changed? Will the generator still work?

Also I need to know what the specs are for adjusting the valves and how to go about adjusting them?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

I'll look up the 1950 valve specs; I should have a Motors Manual.

One thing about those early sixes is that some high mileage motors suffered from very little oil to the rocker shafts. If that was the case, then there will be wear on the rocker & shaft. It will still run fine, but when you set the valves to specs, some rockers likely will clatter just like you set them wrong. Then, if you can't get new parts right then, you need to almost adjust them by sound.

Back to the battery/slow cranking: I have had pretty good luck with 6v systems. Are you sure that it is just not a tired /or gummed up starter motor? I would pull the starter apart to clean the armature, look at the brushes to make sure they have not worn down so much that the brush return spring has bottomed out and is not pushing the brush. Also check for bushing slop.

If going 8V, you need to make an adjustment on the regulator to bump it up a bit.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:42 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

12 volt conversion

tapping into a 12 volt battery will work until battery acid works it's way on to the wires then you will have more problems with stuff not working/....been there...done that..the best way is to go 12 volt...change all the light bulbs and use voltage reducing resistors to run the gages, and one for the accessories. and heater blower motor. On My Willys I made a sheet metal adaptor ring about 6 inche diameter and installed a 12 volt blower with fan from I think an old fairlane. It worked a lot better than the original willys. you can keep the 6 volt starter but if you crank on it for a long time without starting you can damage it. the rule in the old days was if it doesn;t start in 20 seconds let it rest and cool down 2 or 3 minutes before trying again .. if you keep it tuned up it should start in 10 seconds or less. I could start my old ford FE with 12 to one compression at 40 below in 5 seconds with a 6 volt starter and always a good tune up ( Points.. plugs.. wires.. 3 carbs set up right.)
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

adjusting valves

If the old chevy has been revved hard the push rods might be bent... a common problen in the old days. they are easy to pull out and roll them across a flat table top and see if they wobble, you can hammer them straight but they will bend again if you rev it hard... another problem was the old chevies didn't oil the rocker arms very well and the tip that contacks the valve could have a grove worn so you won't get a good reading with a feeler gage, also check out the rocker shaft and the area on the rocker that rides on the shaft for wear. YOu can resurface the end if you make a fixture . a flat board or plate with a rod sticking up . clamp it to the table on a belt sander and adjust to get the radius then sand them smooth and remove the wear pitting
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Specs: HOT .006 intake .013 Exhaust.

Best & quickest way to adj valves is with it warmed up and set the idle as low as you can, then the rockers will be moving slow enough to adjust them running. You need a wrench, screwdriver & feeler gauges.

If you can't get the hang of that: Get the motor hot. Shut it off. Then roll the motor over and as one cylinders valve is completely open, adjust that cylinders other valve and then mark it with chalk (so you can know which valves are done).

Timing; there should be a 1" casting hole on the pasenger side of the bellhousing. There is a pointer in the center. Then there should be a tiny circle or even a shiney ball bearing stuck in the flywheel for TDC. On a 48 Chev I just did, you need to set the "octane selector" first, on the bottom of the distributor. That is timing scale with "o" and degree marks on either side of the zero. Set that to zero first with motor off. Start motor and then use the "other" distributor clamping bolt to set the timing mark on the flywheel to zero. Now you are at zero, and if you run good octane, you can set that lower scale on the dist by "sight" without a timing light later. You would just advance it by the scale, to 2 degrees or whatever, unless it pings on hills.

The starter again: Your description of not firing if it goes under 6v to coil makes me think your starter is dragging internally. All it takes is slight wear on the bushings to have the armature slightly rub on the fields. Then it would crank SLOW, plus heat up QUICK, and that drops your coil volts to 4 or 4.5 and it won't have the voltage to fire the coil.

That 48 chev 6v that was just here cranked real nice, so I suspect your starter is messed up. On my sons crawler dozer, the bushings were bad and I used some copper water pipe stuff to make some. It starts slick now. Copper won't last on a daily driven car, but will last OK until you find the correct bronze bushings.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:25 AM

The Starter on the 50 Chev has bin rebuilt and checked 3 times by other shops. I already rebuilt the carb thinking it was fluding when hot but still have the same problem.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

HRR have u tried the chevy forum?
http://vccachat.org/forum/ubbthreads...Board/5/page/1

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.