Converting 55 Chevy 4-Door to 2-Door? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 01:29 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

^^^ "carefully" isnt even the right word ... you should be taking a tape measure to the car till your at the pointthat your crying yourself to sleep

crossmeasure till your out of spots to crossmeasure from ... then crossmeasure more ....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here's a 4-to-2 I did back in the early '90s. Done on the cheap by just welding the rear doors shut and installing some Honda bucket seats. Interestingly, the guy who bought it from me had done a number of those convertible conversions and that is what he had in mind for this one. I never followed up to see if that is what he actually did.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Personally, with all due respect, I think doing it gets you nowhere. Unless you radically change the rear quarter window and what not to look like a two door, all you really end up with is a four door with rear doors that don't open.

Now, if you are going to get a pair of two door doors and shorten the rear ones up and weld them in making two door "quarters", AND making the quarter window the same as a two door, then you have a "two door".

If you don't do that, I say leave it a four door. They really aren't "that bad". I mean, thirty years ago owning a fourdoor was as low as you could get for a hot rodder. But these days, come on, some of the fastest factory hot rods are four doors! Even the Charger R/T Hemi is ONLY available as a four door!

I say make a 55 "SS Impala" out of it!

Brian
Old 08-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

MartinSr, I think that was the original question here, if it is feasible to shorten the rear doors and use the proper doors from a two door. Sure this can be done but it is a bit more than a weekend project, as he suggested, unless one is highly experienced in this sort of thing and knows EXACTLY ahead of time what to do. I could not agree more about simply welding up the back doors and using the front doors that came with the car, it still LOOKS like a 4 door except now the back doors wont open so why do it? This is a big undertaking if it is going to look right and if the car is in really good shape now then in all probability it will be worth less when finished but as was pointed out it is his car and if this is what he wants then go for it. I just wanted to point out that this is not a simple job and with the one rj57 mentioned that makes two that I know of that wound up in the scrap yard after failed attempts to do this.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

When we do my wife's '57 Desoto 4 door, we are planning on using satin black on portions of the door posts, and tinted glass. The result we think will be to pull attention away from the busy greenhouse and focus it onto the two-tone sides. I think this could work pretty well on the Chevy as well and is far more cost effective and reversible as well.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

i'm in the process of doing a 55, i had a 56 2-door pontiac parts car, its a lot of work but to me its worth it. if i had to do it again i would use the 2 door roof to save on the welding but the roofs i had were rotted out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-26-06-4.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	14087   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-26-06-8.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	14088  
Old 08-13-2006, 05:52 PM

yeah guys, ill be doing it the "correct way" if there is such a thing. I WONT be simply welding up the rear doors and throw the towell at it. I am mostly concerned with proportions and using "2-door" doors. I was just looking for a few guys how have done it, and some pics, thanks guys! The car im looking at is in okay shape. It needs floorplans, but other than that its a solid car. All the chrome is there. It just has the "look" im goin after...minus being a 4-door of course. Its at a darn good price too.. only $1100. and, for what its worth, doing this sort of project doesnt scare me one bit. Im goin for it guys!

Thanks Guys!!!

Last edited by CSU-Chevys86; 08-14-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

it seems bud has already posted his info
Old 08-14-2006, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

I believe the guy on Chevy Talk who started his 4 - 2 door project only used portions of a 2-door quarter panel to fill in where was needed to cover over the 4-door rear door areas on his car.

He bought the parts off a Salvage Yard 2-door he found including buying a set of 2-door, doors.

For some reason though he abandoned the project before it's finish?

Here's my 4-door. Nine days ago we celebrated 31 years together. I'm the second owner of her.
Back when I bought her, EVERYONE said "part it. put another 2-door back on the road." I refused to listen to them.
I have a buddy with a real nice black '57 BelAir 2-door Hardtop (isn't that all Chevy made in 1957?)
He's told me himself he wished his Hardtop was 1/2 as original as my 4-door is. His beloved BelAir Hardtop started life as a Highland Green, 6 cyilnder powerglide car. Now it's a PowerPack 283 V8, 3-speed car.
My 4-door started life as she is today. A 283, V8 powerglide car.
We just went to another car show together yesterday. He drove his Hardtop, I drove my Two-Ten 4-door Sedan. He took home a trophy, I took home a sunburn.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Automotive Enthusiast!

Last photo:

4 doors are awesome, I would say to just keep the car the way it is and not go through the pain and heartache(headache) of converting.

Just my thoughts,

-Cody
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
If you don't do that, I say leave it a four door. They really aren't "that bad". I mean, thirty years ago owning a fourdoor was as low as you could get for a hot rodder. But these days, come on, some of the fastest factory hot rods are four doors! Even the Charger R/T Hemi is ONLY available as a four door!
I'm with Martin. I would not do it. But there is a company out there that does sell the stuff to make a 2 out of a 4 although I can't remember the name. They advertise in the rodder magazines showing they did it to a '57. But it depends on what you want to spend. If money is not a problem then neither is the conversion. If you have a budget of $500, then forget it. It will be a little costly to do. You could pick up a two door for a reasonable price and have less in it than you would have in a conversion. Besides that...more-doors are becoming more popular and one thing with the tri-fives, the body looks of a 2 and a 4 door are very similiar at first glance. If anything I would just shave the rear door handles off and leave it a more-door. Better for cruising with the buds. It also makes for a better sleeper. Big block, 4 doors, and a set of hubcaps with some wide meat underneath the rear, lowered a little, and a quieter set of pipes......Oh Yea!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM

Lot Of Work

Rj 57, that is a beautiful car. As for the 4 to 2 conversion... I have done alot of basket cases and I tell people there is nothing that can't be done. But it will take longer than a week end and a good bit of money. But it is yours if you think it is worth it go for it.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Thank you for the compliment about my 210 4-door Sedan. She's been a very reliable car over the years. I bought her aug, 5, 1975 for $100 and drove her home with 45,000 miles on her original 283. She now has 81,000 miles (some dumb kid drove her daily for a few years and put all this miles on my car?)

I recall a very cold morning in january, 1977 or '78 when no one's car would start. Both (I only had two at the time) of my Chevies started with little effort. The neighbor behind us owned one Mopar, One Buick, and one non-running Chevy. He paid me $20 to drive his across town to his job.

The years I've been "Into" 55/6/7 Chevies I've been extremely lucky in that I've been able to find and hold on to 2-door cars. Besides my 4-door I also owned another one-owner '57 210 4-door Sedan I bought off an ex-neighbor's uncle. This man bought a car every 10 years. When I met him he owned:
1927 Chevy 1957 Chevy
1937 Chevy 1967 Chevy
1947 Chevy 1977 Chevy

And he was getting ready to buy a 1987 Chevy but he wanted to sell one of the cars he owned, so he picked the '57. If the car hadn't been so rusted out from being on a farm all it's life I wouldn't have parted it. But when I got it there was no floor pan left in it from front door to front door. They screwed down a piece of plywood and bolted the front seat to it.

There are a lot of people out there who'd rather own a 2-door car and I understand this. Like was posted the 4-door versions are becoming very popular. With all the aftermarket pieces now available it's really not smart to part out or cut up any '55/6/7 Chevy.

Sorry for the long reply.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

I'd definately do it if there's a two door parts car available. Without a parts car you're in for a lot of guesswork. Bud's project says it all. Four doors are alright as restored cruizers but not hotrodded, IMO.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check out hemi43's Dodge 4 four door turned two door. He is a master of this conversion as far I am concerned.

www.geocities.com/dantechfab

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.