Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Converting bead roller to power
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I never could find Jim's original instructions, I guess it was lost when the old metalmeet forum crashed. Jim runs his with gears with 15 and 48 teeth, roughly 3 TO 1. I had a 5 gallon bucket of # 40 chain. I ordered the gear and hub from burden's SURPLUS SALES. I had to weld the gear to the hub. I dissambled the winch cable reel and turned it down to fit the hub size of the burden hub. I don't remember the diameter. I welded a piece of 1 in square stock to the bottom of my beadroller ( and a lot of other tools, vise, planishing hammer, brake, etc) I have 1 in inside size square tube receivers welded in the southworth lift table and tool stands, flatbed truck, low trailer
40W16B 40 PITCH 16 TOOTH SPROCKET
X1-1/2B 1-1/2" BORE HUB
I think this is what I used, check the size of your modified winch reel, hub size and sprocket size to make sure every thing will fit. I had the 48 tooth sprocket in my bucket of # 40 drive chain.
This is good stuff. Thanks.

I ordered some cheep #40 chain last night. $11.00 with free shipping. Tractor Supply sells Weldable sprockets. Their 46 tooth is $27. I may have a SPDT switch but will need to buy a foot pedal. Kind of scared of the Harbor Freight one but still looking around. I also have an old wheel and junk driveshaft for a stand.

I hope to line up everything I need for Thanksgiving weekend.

John