Converting bead roller to power - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,351 Times in 1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I followed the instructions Jim Stabe posted on Metalmeet forums a few years ago I';ll see if I can find the links. The Metal meet site crashed a few years ago.. I like the HF winch because I can pull out the handle into neutral and run it with a steering wheel ..
That would indeed be a really big plus. It may be I should have thought this through longer before I bought the door opener but......I am going to continue on. I knew there were a lot of threads out there from guys who had done it but the door opener was there, handy, and cheap. Also it should require no machine work since it already has a sprocket on the end of the shaft.

Thanks for the input. There may be other guys who read this thread that will want to go the winch route. It does make sense.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

jim stabe instructions

I'll try this link post 756
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...74#post6412274
jim's latest mods
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showt...t=10281&page=2

Last edited by timothale; 11-15-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 PM

more links

Motorize my bead rollers - All MetalShaping
Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 AM

more power bead roller

I never could find Jim's original instructions, I guess it was lost when the old metalmeet forum crashed. Jim runs his with gears with 15 and 48 teeth, roughly 3 TO 1. I had a 5 gallon bucket of # 40 chain. I ordered the gear and hub from burden's SURPLUS SALES. I had to weld the gear to the hub. I dissambled the winch cable reel and turned it down to fit the hub size of the burden hub. I don't remember the diameter. I welded a piece of 1 in square stock to the bottom of my beadroller ( and a lot of other tools, vise, planishing hammer, brake, etc) I have 1 in inside size square tube receivers welded in the southworth lift table and tool stands, flatbed truck, low trailer
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-T...H-SPROCKET.axd
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/...2-BORE-HUB.axd
I think this is what I used, check the size of your modified winch reel, hub size and sprocket size to make sure every thing will fit. I had the 48 tooth sprocket in my bucket of # 40 drive chain.

Last edited by timothale; 11-16-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
I never could find Jim's original instructions, I guess it was lost when the old metalmeet forum crashed. Jim runs his with gears with 15 and 48 teeth, roughly 3 TO 1. I had a 5 gallon bucket of # 40 chain. I ordered the gear and hub from burden's SURPLUS SALES. I had to weld the gear to the hub. I dissambled the winch cable reel and turned it down to fit the hub size of the burden hub. I don't remember the diameter. I welded a piece of 1 in square stock to the bottom of my beadroller ( and a lot of other tools, vise, planishing hammer, brake, etc) I have 1 in inside size square tube receivers welded in the southworth lift table and tool stands, flatbed truck, low trailer
40W16B 40 PITCH 16 TOOTH SPROCKET
X1-1/2B 1-1/2" BORE HUB
I think this is what I used, check the size of your modified winch reel, hub size and sprocket size to make sure every thing will fit. I had the 48 tooth sprocket in my bucket of # 40 drive chain.
This is good stuff. Thanks.

I ordered some cheep #40 chain last night. $11.00 with free shipping. Tractor Supply sells Weldable sprockets. Their 46 tooth is $27. I may have a SPDT switch but will need to buy a foot pedal. Kind of scared of the Harbor Freight one but still looking around. I also have an old wheel and junk driveshaft for a stand.

I hope to line up everything I need for Thanksgiving weekend.

John
Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

I am surprised you guys don't look at the 3-jaw couplers like I used. Quite simple:

Surplus Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589 View Post
I don't have a very good photo. I had a geared dc motor from an auction laying around. I got a misalignment adapter ad power supply from Surpluscity. It is variable speed with a HF on/off foot pedal:

Old 11-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
I am surprised you guys don't look at the 3-jaw couplers like I used. Quite simple:

Surplus Center

ThT would be perfect for the winch motor but the door opener has to be geared down since it is not variable speed.

John
Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

I understand.

That stand by the way is a multi use stand I made for several different things depending on what I am working on:

Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
I understand.

That stand by the way is a multi use stand I made for several different things depending on what I am working on:
The stand is perfect. I really like that.

The opener drive came this morning.

After I disconnected the lamp, circuit board, and other safety switches I was left with only 2 wires coming from the capacitor and a neutral. blue wire to neutral is forward, Red to neutral is reverse. Could not be simpler. Also I already have a DPDT switch I can use.

By my watch the motor sprocket is running 104 RPM's which is 1.73 per second. The sprocket is 8 teeth so if I could find a 48 tooth sprocket that would equate to just under 4 seconds per revolution at the tool. (.289 rev/second).

That is as fast as I think I can stand it. I wonder I it will be possible to cycle it on a tight corner with the foot pedal with out ending up with a jerky roll. I hate to spend 35 dollars for a sprocket that is too small.

John

Old 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Oh-Kayyyy.... I located a 72 tooth sprocket and hub for $39 and ordered it. 72/8 is a 9 to 1 reduction which works out to .20 revs per second or 1 revolution per 5 seconds. Since the dies on the bead roller are 2 inches in diameter that is about 6.28 inches per revolution or 1.2 inches a second.

LOL. Have I impressed you with how much high school math this old man could come up with?

I wonder if I'm right. Ask me after Thanksgiving.

John
Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Math ! !

I taught apprentices a few years and kids today don't have very good math skills.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM

To gow489

OPPS TO GOW 589
I AM STILL TYPING WITH 3 FINGERS, the smashed one is healing ok.
You need to drill and tap and add grease zerks to the shaft guide blocks, mine gauled the shafts after a few years use.
I like your multi use stand . I started out with every tool having its own stand but the 40 X 120 shop soon ran out of space.

Last edited by timothale; 11-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Yes, That is a great idea. I picked up on that on your earlier post. I intend to have some for when we do this over the holidays. I am glad you mentioned it. The door opener also has nylon gears. the more I can limit the drag, the longer it will last too.

John
Old 11-16-2013, 08:03 PM

door opener

I'll be watching to see how it works. I have an old opener up in the steel rack. I have been thinking about powering my HF tubing roller.
Tubing Roller
The growing season up here is too short for my wife's blackberries and I said I could roll some conduit to make a green house cover to extend the growing season,
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
I'll be watching to see how it works. I have an old opener up in the steel rack. I have been thinking about powering my HF tubing roller.
Tubing Roller
The growing season up here is too short for my wife's blackberries and I said I could roll some conduit to make a green house cover to extend the growing season,
I believe it will do well but in all honesty, I can see where the winch drive may be a better way to go.

In any event this will be very inexpensive. The only thing that cost me more than expected was the sprocket. The cost of the sprocket with shipping was just over 50 dollars. It would probably be cheaper to use a jack shaft and stay with smaller less expensive sprockets. If I wasn't trying to have everything ready for the holiday I could have looked for one surplus or used. But after searching for 3 days I went ahead and ordered this one. Hey, It's only money.

I do appreciate the input. This is one time when I don't have experience to fall back on and am just flying "by the seat of my pants."

BTW, Total investment with take out motor, chain, sprocket and hub, foot pedal so far has been 110 dollars.

John

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.