Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Converting from external choke quadrajet to electrical choke quadrajet
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet
I have a mostly stock 1968 cadillac. The original carb has the external heat riser choke. There is a coiled spring that sits down in the manifold. It is typically called a divorced choke. I have purchased a later quadrajet from a 1974(I believe that is how it decoded) cadillac. It is the later style electrical choke. I know it should be a pretty simple conversion, but I am not sure where to run wires to/from the choke. I think I can figure out the vacuum hoses out if I am careful on the switch over. So what do I do about the wires? Anything I should know about the vacuum lines?
I don't know if you were aware there is a conversion for this. The electric choke mounts down on the intake similar to the bi metal coil of the divorced choke and operates the choke by a link from the electric choke, same as the original divorced choke. This is a good deal if the carb you have is in good shape other than the choke.

Shown at the bottom of the page, no idea if your Caddy is among the "Many other applications available", but the difference will be mainly in the length of the arm up to the choke linkage at the carb- http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp