Converting My S10 to Manual Brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 07:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Converting My S10 to Manual Brakes

Was just wondering if anybody has converted from power to manual brakes on a S10. I purchased a master cylinder that is supposed to be for manual brakes but it looks identical to the power MC and even has the same casting numbers. I'm thinking the internals may be different but am unsure. Anyhow, I would like to hear from anybody who may have done this conversion so I know what needs to be done. Thanks....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Last photo:

The piston diameter is different for a manual master cylinder, also the cavity where the pushrod goes is deeper than a master cylinder for power.

Vince
Old 08-27-2005, 01:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

The difference is in the step bore diameter. The manual brake one is smaller.

The other thing you need to do is swap in some manual brake wheel cylinders in the back.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:43 AM

Thanks, I kinda figured the internals were different even though they look the same from the outside. I have a 9" ford rear with drums so I think I'll be ok with the rear brakes.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

There's a bit more to it than just switching the master cylinder. I've recently converted my 81 grand prix to manual brakes using all S10 parts. I've posted pictures in a thread on this forum. Here's the thread:
S10 brakes on G body

Luckily for you, it should be possible to take all the parts you need off a wrecked S10. You'll probably need the backing plate for the firewall, a pushrod for the manual master cylinder, and the retaining cup to keep the pushrod on the back of the master cylinder. Take a look at my previous thread if you want to see pictures of this stuff.

Also, the S10 pedals might have different attachment points for the pushrod. My G body had a hole for power brakes and a hole for manual brakes. You could either change the stud to the other hole, or get a brake pedal from a manual S10 with the stud already in the correct hole.

It shouldn't be a very difficult swap, especially if you can find a wreck to strip parts off.
dh
Old 08-28-2005, 02:19 PM

I did check out your swap the other night after I made my original post. Looks like you did a great job! I have been unable to locate a S10 that has manual brakes so far, seems most had power but I know they made them so I'll keep searching as it will be the easiest way to make the swap. Thanks for the info.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.