Converting points & condenser to elctronics... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 12:30 PM
St Louis Blues fan....

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Converting points & condenser to elctronics...

I have a 1960 Corvette powered by a (1967) 327 small block Chevy... I would like to convert the points & condenser to electronics style.

I've looked into Pertronix and similar Mallory & Crane products. Is their any preference between these similar products?

I'm also considering going the MSD route but not sure what MSD producst I'll need. GM HEI is another option...

Thoughts anyone?

TIA

Ken

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

summit only goes back to 62' 327 vette so double check to be sure this 67' 327 HEI will fit/clear...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...116+4294925084

(how good is a GM HEI spark? they are now making/converting them for Fords and Chryslers)

if you gotta have the correct stock dist appearance then the pertronix/crane/etc under cap modules are the choice

Last edited by red65mustang; 08-30-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Do you have room for a GM HEI on the block?

If Space is an issue, try Dave's Small Body HEI in Nevada, they make (or can convert yours Cheap enough.)

Doc
Old 08-30-2007, 09:23 PM

Points conversion

I recently converted my points distributor over to electronic using the Crane conversion and I am extremely happy with it. What I am extremely happy about is that if for some reason the unit fails when you are out cruisin you can pop in the old points and condenser and continue motoring. Oh bye the way the conversion was on a 1966 SBC 283 in a 28 Model A.
Happy motoring - Jerry
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 AM

Last photo:

Another option especially if you have the tach drive distributor,is to use the points to trigger an msd box which can be hidden and the system will still apear stock wth all the advantages of the msd.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

all of the OEM SS modules are much more "robust" than the pert/crane units which must restrict amps to survive....so a much bigger/stronger spark does occur with a HEI which delivers alot more V and A to the coil......

very very general example:
points=10,000V spark at .035 plug gap
pert/crane=14,000V at .038 gap
HEI=18,000V at .045 gap =more spark surface

definitely are advantages/disadvantages for each......(gotta pertronix on my mild motor daily driver car, $80 vs $350 for a HEI converted Ford dist)....had one that worked great for 10 years with 2.1 ohms total resistance (my own stupid mistake killed it)

ps: you want a GM OEM module in the HEI.....not a made in china piece of crap

lol....carry the whole old points dist in the car....swap it "if" the HEI dies on the side of the road....probably quicker and easier than points swap if you have location marks on the intake and dist body.....any swap on the side of the road will be a pia with the dist in the back

Last edited by red65mustang; 09-01-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 AM
St Louis Blues fan....

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
Another option especially if you have the tach drive distributor,is to use the points to trigger an msd box which can be hidden and the system will still apear stock wth all the advantages of the msd.
My tach is driven off of the ignition coil. I have an Accel coil. I've never understood those MSD boxes. With these MSD units doesn't the points and condenser still remain in your distributor? So adding one of these MSD units will not be getting rid of the old points system...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

using a msd or other ignition box, the only function of the points becomes a low amp on/off switch signal to the box......

the points "switch" opens and closes to tell the box when to fire "direct" to the coil primary with high volts....
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

oldred, your (deleted) post comment did come thru to my mailbox....

it has bugged me for years...why doesn't...each oem copy the better parts of their competitors!!!!!

I want a 351W short block with 350 Vortec heads and a Chrysler Torque Flight tranny!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

I had misread that post and thought you guys were talking about converting a Ford to the HEI so I thought I would have a little fun with it, but then I saw he was talking about a 'Vette so I guess the joke was on me.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
St Louis Blues fan....

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
using a msd or other ignition box, the only function of the points becomes a low amp on/off switch signal to the box......

the points "switch" opens and closes to tell the box when to fire "direct" to the coil primary with high volts....

So there is still wear and tear on your points.... I don't follow the advantage of using a MSD 6AL box... as you are not getting rid of the points and condenser.

My 60 also uses a ballast resisitor...which I believe a HEI or Pertronix solution will get rid of...
Old 08-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

not really any wear and tear because the points are not wired to the coil and arcing on every spark event....there is only enough power from the msd box to the points to make a hi/low signal the box can see.....
the coil is connected direct to the msd where it gets zapped with very short duration, multiple 500V charges

no ballast resistor and a low ohms coil is why the HEI makes such a strong spark

the original pertronix (and the crane) do require a ballast resistor.... 1.5ohm minimum for the pertronix, crane spec' is on their site, probably the same....

the "new" pertronix, Ignitor II, (to me), is "to new", to know reliability....it is intended to be used with less ohms (ex:II coil is .6ohm) and make a stronger spark above 3,000rpms

$90 for a HEI vs $90 for a pertronix/crane.....kinda like $90 for a corvette and $90 for a chevette.....they both "will" get you to the store to buy a gallon of milk!...."but" ....

budget $350 minimum to do a msd box by the time you are done....you do need minumum 8mm wires so it doesn't really look stock....

Last edited by red65mustang; 08-31-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

the mallory "E spark" module does also requires a ballast resistor

link to the instructions:
http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/6100M.pdf
Old 09-01-2007, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

On the points triggered msd the only wear would be at the rubbing block which if properly lubed will be minimal,the main problem with points is that they arc every time they open and close causing metal transfer and contact wear.This is not the case when used to trigger an msd the points carry almost no current and are simply a ground switch for the box.In this setup a set of points can last for years, and you get a hidden msd system which will outperform any stock ignition out there.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.