Converting a store into a garage. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I don't know about the stability of adding 2 or 4 ft section to your walls, but I think in the long run, you would be further ahead to knock her down and start from the slab. You could even do it 1/2 at a time. Store your stuff in one half, knock down the other half. You could still run the roof the same way. The house I have just moved into has the garage doors in the side walls..........You need a good solid header.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA1K8F55.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	25739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 050.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	25740  

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2007, 03:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
Lets say I do exactly that on the front 1/3 of the building to make a nice work area....What is the "correct" way to make the side walls taller? Do you just add a 2-4 foot wall section with a bottom plate and double top plate and nail it to the existing wall top plate? I've never done one. What would keep those extensions stable?? Will it work & pass code? What I mean is that it is sort of like "platform" framing for a 2 story home, but that second wall is always built on top of the second floor deck....not just added to a wall.

By the way, the existing roof is corrugated metal, no eaves, no soffits, and most likely can come apart real fast. There is a full ceiling so I can't see what the roof framing is built like, but that's not an issue if I go with trusses.

I am familiar with straight foward, building, remodeling & demo, as I nearly tore my former house down to the sills. Back then the town let me do the plans and passed all my work that I did. Not the case in this town or date.

Stability comes from the sheathing; overlap the existing wall framing and the new wall framing with the new plywood sheathing (I recommend using CDX plywood for this application). This ties the 2 wall systems together. You can also add diagonal bracing within the new gable end walls to add stability, by "letting in" a diagonal 2x4 at each corner to midspan. This will prevent racking. The framing of this dormer would be no different than any other platform-framed structure. Instead of building off a deck, you're building off walls. No different when you really think about it.

Antny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
Stability comes from the sheathing; overlap the existing wall framing and the new wall framing with the new plywood sheathing (I recommend using CDX plywood for this application). This ties the 2 wall systems together. You can also add diagonal bracing within the new gable end walls to add stability, by "letting in" a diagonal 2x4 at each corner to midspan. This will prevent racking. The framing of this dormer would be no different than any other platform-framed structure. Instead of building off a deck, you're building off walls. No different when you really think about it.

Antny
add the rafters to tie the walls together, shouild be no problems with stablity.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Well, the seller accepted my offer and signed the contract yesterday...so if the place passes the bank's appraisal & inspection, and if all else works out, I should be in before the holidays.

When & if I get it, I'll get in the attic to take a pic of the roof structure. Thanks for the suggestions.

Most likely the ground will be frozen by then so I won't be able to redo the grades on the long sides of the shop.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

This building will always be an ongoing challenge. I am starting today on putting a 7x9 rollup door on the far gable end. I need a "long bay" to get my recently repurchased Diamond T truck indoors. It is 1 foot too long to go in from a side door.

My son started last evening by ripping roots with his 49 Minneapolis Moline industrial tractor....until it ran out of gas It has forks on it, and he will switch to his bucket to move the dirt. We needed a decent road to get back there.

Working with old stuff always causes more work. These old tractors steered stiff even with an empty bucket. We adapted a mid 70s Chevy 4X4 power steering box on it and it now steers like a car. It took "a few hours" to find the exact spot to put it due to it ending up with 1/8" clearance in many areas. The fluid lines were a challenge Crummy pic, but if you follow the lines you can maybe see the top of the GM box & rag joint. The GM & Moline steering arms were grafted together and it points straight up.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

a set of go-jacks or car dollies will make storing cars in there much easier. i can move my 59 chevy wagon alone when it's on the jacks. almost spin it in a 360 degree circle
Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

Some real old mechanic shops used wood floors. I have seen several. Early 1900s they worked on model a's, model t's and other stuff. I guess they were built before concrete was readily available. Just don't spill a lot of oil The wood floor will be warmer than the concrete floor, and easier on the feet and legs. One shop is now a restaurant.

Later you could remove the wood floor. The concrete floor might not be thick enough for some work.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Last journal entry: 39 chevy
Last photo:

garage

hi,on your centre posts problem,you could put in a steel i-beam to eliminate some of them.you would have to figure out the size you needed.i had a centre post in my garage when i bought the place i supported the ceiling with 2x6 in a few spots,cut a hole in one end wall and took out the post and timbers.my friend ray helped me put in a 6"ibeam 30' long.my garage is only 24' long so i have 6' outside for loading and unloading.opened the place right up without that centre post.my garage isn't as big as yours will be but maybe this will help.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.