Cool-flex radiator hose - any failures? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Cool-flex radiator hose - any failures?

My upper radiator hose is a Cool-flex and is metal (copper). It sure looks pretty and seems to do the job - but normal copper will work harden from movement, heating and cooling plus from that, get brittle. Has anyone had one of these fail? I took a ride today with the hood off and that hose really vibrates. I've seen many cars with these hoses but have never asked anyone about failures. At this point, I really don't have a problem removing it tho the $90 will of course hurt, but a blown hose in West Overshoe on a Sunday afternoon would hurt more .

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
My upper radiator hose is a Cool-flex and is metal (copper). It sure looks pretty and seems to do the job - but normal copper will work harden from movement, heating and cooling plus from that, get brittle. Has anyone had one of these fail? I took a ride today with the hood off and that hose really vibrates. I've seen many cars with these hoses but have never asked anyone about failures. At this point, I really don't have a problem removing it tho the $90 will of course hurt, but a blown hose in West Overshoe on a Sunday afternoon would hurt more .

Dave W
if it is the real cool flex, it is guaranteed for life, even the rubber parts

Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
if it is the real cool flex, it is guaranteed for life, even the rubber parts
It's the real thing - but that isn't my concern - it's like I said, that failure in West Overshoe on Sunday afternoon

Dave W
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I have never heard anything but good. I actually went to the CT
factory / store when it was with Total Performance. I asked about it and they said they get very few returns.

Chet
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ive never heard of these, anyone got a pic of one?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I had a cool-flex heater hose blow off the firewall bulkhead of my '32 pickup three years ago but I can't lay the fault on the hose itself. This was due to long term wear, vibration, and loosening of the hose clamp which I could have prevented with regular maintenance and tightening. But over time, I've become more and more skeptical about using these hoses and on the new sedan/delivery build I've now replaced all my nice chrome heater hoses with old fashioned rubber ones and I also replaced the lower radiator hose with a hand fabricated arrangement which seems to be much more secure. I still have one cool-flex for the top radiator hose but just as you noted, I can see it vibrating like crazy when I'm at speed on the highway so it is always a concern. BTW, I'm still running a full set of Cool Flex hoses on the '32.

My basic conclusion at this point is the Cool Flex hoses (and their clones) have one weakness in their design. And that is the hose clamping system and the fact that every joint has double the possibilities of working itself apart (since every joint now has two clamping surfaces rather than just one with a traditional rubber hose.) I guess my bottom line would be...if you run these hoses (which lots of folks do), just include tightening of the clamps on your routine maintenance list.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:29 AM

cool flex

we have an upper and lower hose from cool flex on our 1937 chev which we have over 30,000 miles on. i do agree that you do have perform maintanance to tighten once a year, but i am real sure that copper stays soft a lot longer than s/s because of the work hardening factor of stainless steel, which will get brittle a lot faster than copper. we did have a s/s upper that cracked and sprayed antifreeze all over the weind blower on our engine.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstcr&c
we have an upper and lower hose from cool flex on our 1937 chev which we have over 30,000 miles on. i do agree that you do have perform maintanance to tighten once a year, but i am real sure that copper stays soft a lot longer than s/s because of the work hardening factor of stainless steel, which will get brittle a lot faster than copper. we did have a s/s upper that cracked and sprayed antifreeze all over the weind blower on our engine.
Thanks all for your responses - Friday or Saturday I will be going to the Cool Flex shop in Willimantic Conn. (WinTec) for other reasons and will ask them as well - then will post here

Dave W
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Thanks all for your responses - Friday or Saturday I will be going to the Cool Flex shop in Willimantic Conn. (WinTec) for other reasons and will ask them as well - then will post here

Dave W
Dave I have seen a lot of these run and have not heard or seem any problem with them. The poster that said good ol rubber for him must not know the Cool Flex has rubber bushings in them. The only problem I have had is on my top radiator hose and that was because AFCO made the top fitting about 1 1/2" instead of 1 3/4" like the rest but after I tighten the clamp up I had no more trouble. Oh have you ever tried to pull the hard hose out of the rubber after you run it and got it hot and tight if not try it some time yea you can blow one of the radiator or heater fittings BUT it don't blow of the hard hose

good cruiseing OLDROD

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.