coolant - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 07:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

coolant

Dumb que. but breaking in a new engine what coolant would anyone recommend to run? Also whose got a good list of all the torque bolts, from carb to pan? Hey while were at it what oil also, thanks again.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2003, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Info I've read says to just use water for the initial break in, and after you've confimed ther'es no leaks, drain it and add your coolant. Oils recommended have been straight 30 Weight and use a quality filter, like a WIX or something. Bolt torques are listed in all repair manuals or engine rebuild books. Only ones I remember are Intake @ 35 ftlbs and Carb @ 8 ftlbs. Before you start it, it's good to prime the oil pump until you get oil coming up through each pushrod and onto each rocker arm.
Brian
Old 09-27-2003, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

Appreciate the info Brian, thanks again
Old 09-27-2003, 04:19 PM

I agree on using water only, cheaper and cleaner if you find some of the obligatory leaks that always occur on a new motor.
Regarding the torque settings, try this site http://www.torquespecs.com/
Regarding oil, I tend to use a multigrade oil like 10w30 for the break in period, since the oil viscosity is most critical upon startup on a cold motor. A good prelube with a prelube tool or old distributor shaft and a hand drill will make sure that everything is nice and slippery before starting the motor. A good filter will remove any metal particles that didn't get cleaned out after machining...a magnet on the filter and/or on the drain plug would be additional insurance.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:58 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Just me but I've never broken any engine I've ever built in with anything other than whatever 50/50 coolant mixture and multi-grade oil I was planning on using in the engine. Broke current 302 in on 10W30 and 50/50 coolant/water. I will also point out that we R&R engines all the time at work using the same method. This includes dealerships and independant shops that I have worked at. Labor guides give us X amount of time to R&R an engine and we generally don't waste any unnecessary time that is not needed. This does not mean that using water might not be a bad idea if you want to do it that way but it is definately not necessary in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2003, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

The only thing I know is they recommend not using synthetic oils when breaking in a new engine and change your oil after 100 miles or so to get out any metal pieces floating around.
-Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
-Flowmaster Afterburner headers
-Turbo 350 Transmission

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.