coolant/ heater chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 01:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

coolant/ heater chevy 350

i've got a new water pump without the heater hose attachement, do you know where to grab the coolant with pressure in the engine for the heater?
i would to leave the water pump as is and if possibile i would like to take it in the intake manifold that i can drill and tap easily.
any help will be apprecciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Anywhere in the front water passage of the intake would work. You'll get the most flow if you tap in just before the thermostat or just after the water pump. Some engines have sufficient flow that you can use the coolant temp sender location on the outside of the head. Cadillac engines often used a fitting on the back of the passenger side head to get water for the heater.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

thank you Curtis, i'm thinking about a tapped hole in the side of each head fot the temperature bulb, may it work? it's pretty close to the heater attachement in the firewall too.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

the 3/4" hose will either connect to the water pump or to the ratidator pass side tank

the 5/8" hose always attaches to the intake manifold

at least on most GM applications anyways
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I wouldn't drill and tap new holes in the head. They are castings that are under a large amount of stress. New holes are a bad thing unless you have an engineering degree and a $5 million computer. Each head has a hole already drilled and tapped for you. On the driver's side it might have the coolant temp sender, but the pass side should just have a brass threaded plug that you can replace with a hose fitting.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers creepers
i've got a new water pump without the heater hose attachement, do you know where to grab the coolant with pressure in the engine for the heater?
i would to leave the water pump as is and if possibile i would like to take it in the intake manifold that i can drill and tap easily.
any help will be apprecciated
Newer pumps don't have the coolant return passage. But let me back up a moment to deal with how this is plumbed.

The pressure side of the heater circuit originates from the intake manifold's coolant return just before the flow encounters the thermostat. The return goes to the suction side of the water pump. These things can be moved around and may not, or do not have to, attach at the points I stated, they are typical but not exclusive.

The idea is to route coolant from a point of pump pressure to a point of pump suction. The heater circuit also provides a coolant bypass thru the pump when the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed. This speeds warming the engine and quickly provides cabin heat in winter months. It also prevents pump cavitation from a stalled flow as would happen if the thermostat was closed and no circulation occurred. This situation would also lead to stagnant local overheating inside the engine till the thermostat opened to allow circulation.

The pressure side can be tapped in the typical position on the common return at the intake manifold. Another location is from the back of the intake manifold where it seals the backside cylinder head coolant returns. A place that has been suggested but not used in production is to connect into where the temp gauge sender connects into the cylinder head.

The return is to the suction or intake side of the coolant pump. As I pointed out this used to be commonly done at the pump. But many newer systems either connect to a nipple in the pump supply side of the radiator (crossflow) or to a Tee fitting in the lower radiator hose.

If the vehicle does not have air conditioning there is no shut off valve to the heater core, so the system circulates coolant all the time. If it has air conditioning there is a three way valve that shuts off the coolant to the heater core when the AC is operating while providing coolant routing back to the suction side of the pump.

Bogie
Old 05-16-2009, 03:57 AM

Last photo:

thank you for the time me dedicated guys,

wll i'm gonna grab a cople of pictures to show the potential attachement, i think the best could be where the tempearture sender bulb is attached on the cylinder head, there are two of these and one coulb be used for the heater.
i remember that when i bought the intake (edelbrock performer) there was two tapped holes in the back, near the lst bolts, those goes in the heads tunnel where the coolant is, so they can be a potential attachement as well, may be just a little bit small but they're pretty close to the heater core too.
talk soon!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

hi guys,
i'm working on the heating system on my junk and i need to find where to put the hoses on the engine.
i've got a couple of pictures of that, i think to put the return in the #1 hole but where the pressure one?
at the back of the intake the previous owner drilled and tapped two holes, one for each side, you can see one of these at the right of the distributor marked with the #4, i think there's pressure on it, i'm just concerned about the size , could be too small, any thought?
thank you in advance.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.