coolant in oil. time for rebuild? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

coolant in oil. time for rebuild?

Hey everybody this is my first post on here so I might as well make it a good one. I have a 1985 chevy k10 not sure if this forum is about trucks but every time I look something up about chevy motors in google this site always comes up and i've gotten some good info on here so I figured I might as well join.

So a couple months back I blew up my TPI 305 and swapped in a goodwrench TBI 350 I had layin around with no more then 10k on it. The motor was tight spun donuts in my k5 blazer with 3.08 gears like it was nothing. I threw on an intake and a edelbrock carb with an HEI dist. and the motor was cranking away. But the motor did sit for about a year without being touched. A few weeks back I went tearing *** through some deep snow revving the 350 to the moon as I was in 4 LO and it snapped both my belts (no A/C) which caused me to drive maybe 10-15 minutes with no water pump and it was HOT!!!

The next day I discovered it was a quart low on oil and there was coolant in my oil. Figured coolant in my oil was do to bad intake gasket (oil style intake on TBI heads). The center bolts dont line up just right had to elongate them on the intake. Changed the intake gaskets and everything seemed ok until I just recently checked my oil and it was low a long with what seemed like FROZEN water on my dipstick

I decided i'm just going to rip the motor apart but wasnt sure which direction to take in rebuilds. Should I go all out with pistons, cams, lifters, timing set and that good stuff? Or just keep it basic gaskets, rings, main bearings, rod bearings, and cam bearings? Also what other machine work, if any, needs to be done besides the basic honing? I doubt it will need to be bored as the motor is so new. I guess I wont know for sure what ill need till I pull it apart. I am not new to engines and am not afraid to tackle this rebuild at all just wanted to get some advice from more experienced people. Like I said the motor is FRESH so the heads should be in spec a long with the rotating assembly I just wanted to freshen it up with gaskets and bearings due to the coolant in oil.

Thanks,
Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Rob
Welcome to Hotrodders.com Glad to have you with us.

Well I doubt the heads are in spec. (over heated may be a little warped) How are the 305 heads?

This is the time to decide what you want to do with this truck, do you want a stocker or something
with some power? I know what I'd do, but I don't know your situation.
Rich
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have NO exp. rebuilding engines. Just wonfdering why go all out on a engine with only 10k on it.?
I would redo the intake and pay particular attention to the angeld bolts. Be sure they are not lifting the intake . Also that you use the correct bolt sealant. Check to be sure you have the proper intake gasket.and installed with the block off the correct way..
If that don't fix it I would then pull the heads and look for the leak there and redo rhem.
You could do 1 head at a time and run it after the first one is done to see if u got it.
Midght just get lucky and avoid a complete teardown. IMHO
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi Rob
Well I doubt the heads are in spec. (over heated may be a little warped) How are the 305 heads?

This is the time to decide what you want to do with this truck, do you want a stocker or something
with some power? I know what I'd do, but I don't know your situation.
Rich
Lets just say the 305 heads were making music

I dont plan on going crazy with the internals just bolt on stuff. I have an edelbrock intake and carb and a dual exhaust with headers on the way. This is my daily driver so I want to keep it simple and reliable. Basically keep it stock inside of the motor.

I was thinking on the same lines as you though I want to do 305 heads to bump up the compression a bit but that may have to wait. I dont think my heads are warped well atleast I hope they aren't. Is there a way to tell for sure? It wont be too hard to get my hands on some heads or just have these ones decked which will also give me that compression boost. I hate these TBI heads!

What i'm looking for is what kind of damage could coolant in my oil do. I don't want to keep patching up problems I would rather strip the whole thing down and make sure it is 100% fixed.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM

And by the way i'm 18 and have been layed off for awhile so money is tight. I'm working with about $400 thats why I want to keep things simple.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

Rob
To check the heads surface, use a machinist straight edge, or have them checked at the machine shop.

The coolant can/will destroy the bearings & rings in short order, coolant isn't by any stretch a lubricant.

So you'll need cam bearings, rod & man bearings.(rings?) Then If the engines as new as your saying
you may only need a light hone & a gasket set to finish up.
Rich
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM

I know the motor is very new as the truck it was previousley in was bought from a friend of mine and I remember when he got the motor from GM. He put around 10k on it and then I bought the truck had my fun and took the torch to it.

So it sounds like I will just need the basics? Thats what I was planning on. Like I said i'm not a horsepower junkie. My truck is sitting on 40 inch tires so burnouts and 1/4 mile times aren't what im looking for

I am going with fel-pro gaskets no doubts there. Any reccomendations on bearings and rings?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

PM sent
Rich

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.