Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Coolant recovery tank
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So how come I didn't get any stinking instruction? Thanks very much for posting them. Actually I did get a one page showing which tube to hook your overflow tube to but it said nothing about how much coolant to have in the recovery tank or to leave it empty. I think it should have some to make sure you don't end up with air being drawn back into the radiator. If that happens, when you release the cap you have coolant spilling out.
If I didn't say so before I have the original 36 Ford radiator re-plumbed for the 350 Chevy which is suppose to have 450 hp. and it has A/C. So far I am amazed at what a great job this radiator does (knock on wood. I took it to a neighboring town this summer and it was in the mid 90's and with the a/c on it got up to a little over 200 degrees. I checked it with an infrared gun and the gauge is pretty accurate. I have a 180 degree thermostat in it. I need to check it since it seems to take quite awhile for it to get up to temperature. I am thinking that maybe it is not completely closing when cool. Anyway, thanks very much for all the input. I will try draining all but 16 OZ out of the recovery tank and give it a try. I think I will go back to the way we used to do it and leave the upper tank level about an inch from the top.