Coolant Temp Sender on a 1992 S10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Coolant Temp Sender on a 1992 S10

2.8L is a one wire sensor. Went to buy new sensor and the only thing available is a two wire. Went to GM dealer, same thing. What am I suppose to do with the extra wire? Is it a ground? Ignore it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

there should be 2 different ones. A coolant sensor that runs the ECM and a water temp sending unit that works the gauge or light in the dash. You might be asking for the wrong one.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

You are very possibly correct. I never thought about it as I'm not using the two wire sensor that went to the computer. The gage is just a one wire with ground reference through the body of the sensor. I'll go back and see what they have to say.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Tell them that you want a temp sending unit for a guage instead of a coolant sensor.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

The parts stores, NAPA, AutoZone and the local dealer say the one wire sensor has been replaced by a two wire sensor. I took the wiring book with me today to the dealer. Showed him the (sensor/sending unit/switch, whatever you want to call it), I wanted. He came up with a different part #, but still said it was a two wire sending unit. He also said the description stated it could also be used as a one wire sender. If that is the case then it will have to have an internal ground reference to work as a one wire sender. He said no, the other pin is the grd. He is going to get one and I will check it out to see just what it is. I don't think the parts man knows what he's talking about. If it does have an internal ground, I'll just drill out my existing connector and be done with it. I can't see a two pin sender having a ground reference to the body and a second pin for ground also?? It would make it kind of universal, but??

I don't want to run a ground wire as all the engine wiring is finished and in conduit. I should have gotten the sender long ago, but who'd have thunk.

BTW, the GM wiring schematic book calls the computer sensor a "coolant temp sensor". It calls the gage sending unit a "coolant temp switch".

ETA: I was hoping someone had run into this before and could give me a part number for the correct part.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

I ran into this on my kids 88 s10, one terminal on the switch was for a warning lamp and the other ran the gauge.The way ifigured it out was I had the terminals reversed and the warning light got brighter as the engine warmed up and the gauge was inop.reversed connections and all was well.So you will have to figue which wire is to the gauge and hook it to the sending unit leaving the warning light disconnected.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

Just reread your post try a temp sensor from an 88 4.3 should have both terminals, They are ordering the idiot light swith, the clue is it says temp switch not temp sender or sensor . That should mean it is the one for idiot light not gauge package.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

The original setup with the 2.8L engine in the S10 was a edgewise analog gage. There is no water temp light. The connector to the original device has just one wire. In the wiring schematic book the coolant temp switch is shown as a variable resistive device, a jagged line with an arrow across it. A switch for a light wouldn't be depicted as such.

Regardless what it's called, I need a one wire device to run an analog gage.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
The original setup with the 2.8L engine in the S10 was a edgewise analog gage. There is no water temp light. The connector to the original device has just one wire. In the wiring schematic book the coolant temp switch is shown as a variable resistive device, a jagged line with an arrow across it. A switch for a light wouldn't be depicted as such.

Regardless what it's called, I need a one wire device to run an analog gage.
I just looked it up at Napa auto parts on-line. It shows two one for $13.49 and another one for $21.49. They are calling it a engine temperature guage switch. I cannot tell about the wires in the picture. It says it is for a 92 S-10 with a 2.8 engine with a guage though. Check it out . http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterp...itch&VehCode=Y
Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Henry, thanks for the effort. Those two senders look just like the one I got today from GM dealer. A one wire sender with a divider in it. It will work as I got a new connector and wire with it. It was just a matter of getting them to look for the right thing and calling it a switch.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.