Cooling and aluminum heads? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
Continue to do your troubleshooting of the cooling system, but also make another check.

I assume you are running a carburetor. However, I would recommend installing an O2 sensor and AFR gauge so that you can measure the AFR at cruising speed. You made a big jump in power and you may be undercarbureted and running lean at cruise. It may not be off by much (since the temp climbs slowly), but running lean will make the engine run hot. It goes back to normal at idle since the mixture usually runs fairly rich (12-14 AFR) to get a smooth idle.

Bruce
It's has an 850 double pumper on it. Very responsive. It would be a good Idea to install the sensor and gauge just to know were I stand if anything atleast It will verify my tuning. One more reason to do so!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwrench
An easy way to check high under chassis tem is to do what tech inspector said.
This will relieve under hood pressure
Dont go messing around with clutch fans until u find whats wrong.
A lean condition on a holley carb usually will make the motor stumble(flat spot in carb) at about 5 to 7 in. hg.
If ur plugs look gud dont mess with jetting.
I really believe u have high pressure under chassis!!
Actually, the most I could squeeze out was 7 in. hg ly thing I've noticed is at crusing speed there is a very very slight bubbling sound coming from the exhaust while steady on the gas. Every couple seconds I'll get a blup blup. Motor is real responsive If I decide to tap the gas though.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 AM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

I am curious to know
What is the jetting,primary and secondary,what power valve r u running?
What is the initial timing n total n at what rpm your total is all in by?
I think you already said what the total is but I dont no at what rpm
Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I am curious to know
What is the jetting,primary and secondary,what power valve r u running?
What is the initial timing n total n at what rpm your total is all in by?
I think you already said what the total is but I dont no at what rpm
Primary jetting 78, 78 and secondary 86, 86 not sure on the power valve. Initial Timing is 18 degrees with vac adv disconnected. 37 degrees in at 3,000rpm
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

put a set of 82s in the primaries
This is by no means the cause of ur high temp, you r runnin too lean on the primaries
Timing sounds perfect!!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
put a set of 82s in the primaries
This is by no means the cause of ur high temp, you r runnin too lean on the primaries
Timing sounds perfect!!
Ill get some primery jets on the way! Timing seems to be dead on. Ive been tweaking the carb trying to get it right. Ive got it set at highest vac, but the smell of fuel in the garage will roast your eyes. Of course the garage door is open! Ha! The plugs look pretty good for crusing speed not wot. I just assumed when they dynoed it they would spend the time and get it right. Thanks for the input. I put the 1" spacers in the rear of the hood and took the car for a good little ride. It never got over 190 degrees average 185. It was a little cooler out, but I dont believe the cooler weather had to much to do with it. Thanks for all the input. Now all I have left to do is get this carb fine tuned and figure out a way to release the under hood air flow other than the spacers. I like the hood being flush. It will stay this way until I figure something out.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396chevelle
I installed an aluminum radiator along with 2 14" puller fans. Now with the new fan set up it's the opposite. As I continue at a steady cruise speed around 2,500 rpm the temp slowly creeps up to 200 sometimes 210, but once I stop at a light. It drops back down only goes up while cruising. Just trying to get this cooling system right.Thanks!
ok, stupid question time
are the fan turning the right way?
if its cooler when stop then when going down the road
it almost sounds like the fans are wired backwards and pushing air from engine compartment through the rad. and out the grill
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
ok, stupid question time
are the fan turning the right way?
if its cooler when stop then when going down the road
it almost sounds like the fans are wired backwards and pushing air from engine compartment through the rad. and out the grill
Good question, but no while I was in the process of installing them I made sure they were pulling air by sticking a dollar on each side of the rad to make sure they were pulling good.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396chevelle
What I have is the aluminum 3 row rad with 2x 14" fans with a custom shroud that puts the fans about 1" away from the rad.
how much of the rad. area is cover by the shroud compared to the area open for the fans?

if there is alot of the rad. covered by the shroud, you can cut holes in the shroud for air to blow through, at freeway speed

covering the holes on the outside of the shroud, across the top of the hole, with some thin rubber, will act as a flapper type door for the holes

when the fan kicks on, it will pull the rubber tight up against the shroud, closing the holes, pulling air through the rad. only

I hope this makes sense
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
how much of the rad. area is cover by the shroud compared to the area open for the fans?

if there is alot of the rad. covered by the shroud, you can cut holes in the shroud for air to blow through, at freeway speed

covering the holes on the outside of the shroud, across the top of the hole, with some thin rubber, will act as a flapper type door for the holes

when the fan kicks on, it will pull the rubber tight up against the shroud, closing the holes, pulling air through the rad. only

I hope this makes sense
kinda like these
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0120_large.jpg
best i could find on short notice
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
kinda like these
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0120_large.jpg
best i could find on short notice
Makes sense! Pretty good idea! My shroud covers all the fins on the rad, so this will probably help a bit to allow the air to flow through while cruising
Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

Is the temp sensor in the head or intake? Fan sensor in head or intake? I have my fan sensor in the aluminum head at 195 and the temp sensor in the intake. Blown 496 with Griffin 1 1/2 tube radiator. One pusher fan in front and a fixed performance fan on engine. Runs 185 in traffic and 180 at speed. fan never comes on until I idle a lot or after shut off. I run a high flow tstat with relief hole and high flow Eddy pump. Timing is 16 at 1000 and 32 total. If it heats at speed it is air flow and/or timing. You said plugs don't look lean. Is the shroud flush against the radiator?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown496
Is the temp sensor in the head or intake? Fan sensor in head or intake? I have my fan sensor in the aluminum head at 195 and the temp sensor in the intake. Blown 496 with Griffin 1 1/2 tube radiator. One pusher fan in front and a fixed performance fan on engine. Runs 185 in traffic and 180 at speed. fan never comes on until I idle a lot or after shut off. I run a high flow tstat with relief hole and high flow Eddy pump. Timing is 16 at 1000 and 32 total. If it heats at speed it is air flow and/or timing. You said plugs don't look lean. Is the shroud flush against the radiator?
I have a fan sensor probe in the corner fins of my rad, but that will be change this weekend. I'll be going in the side of the head with a screw in type. The temp sensor is in the intake. My timing is dead on. I have been looking at the plugs after cruising which is what you see in the pic above. I haven't opened it up yet. I was trying to get a few miles on it before I opened it up and shut it down to check the plugs at WOT. While trying to put a few miles on it is when I ran into it running a little on the warm side.The shroud is flush all the way around the Rad.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:

I hope this makes sense
This is exactly what I was going to say, I've made fan shrouds from baking pans, and the extra cooling holes will allow more airflow than the fans are capable of on their own, the rubber flaps will still allow the fans to produce a low pressure area behind the radiator when moving slow or sitting still. If there is not some sort of air dam or deflector under your radiator core support, it would be a good idea to add one, this will create a higher pressure area ahead of the radiator, and lower pressure under it, which will enhance airflow through the radiator, based on your speed.

Here's one I did last year:
I/(we) did a fan shroud on my helper's Jeep today, he had his fan attached with those plastic zip ties made for the purpose, and his radiator started leaking because of them, he put a new radiator in it last night, but when I saw that fan attached the same way, I said "NO WAY BUBBA".

This was an 18" x 26" cookie sheet, picked up from the local restaurant supply house, $13.95 + tax,
I cut about 4" out of the middle, I called my buddy Mike to see if he could TIG it back together for us, but he was out of gas and tungstens for his TIG, so I just used the part I cut out to splice it back together, so I just riveted the cut out piece back to both halves. Then I laid the fan in place, marked the mounting holes and cutout for the fan, drilled and cut, then attached the fan.

We used some small holes in the fan shroud to attach it, there were like 12 of them, the perfect size for self tapping screws, assuring this unit would be sturdy and secure.

Then we bent some aluminum strips, (about .040" thick), to attach the shroud to the radiator core's upper and lower frames, and attached them with self tapping screws as well.

It's been on there about a year now, and still cooling very well. We talking about adding some extra cooling holes in that one, but due to the size of the fan vs. the size of the shroud and core, we decided to wait and see if they were needed, and they were not. With that big a fan, and small a radiator core, there wasn't that much room for extra holes anyway.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer
This is exactly what I was going to say, I've made fan shrouds from baking pans, and the extra cooling holes will allow more airflow than the fans are capable of on their own, the rubber flaps will still allow the fans to produce a low pressure area behind the radiator when moving slow or sitting still. If there is not some sort of air dam or deflector under your radiator core support, it would be a good idea to add one, this will create a higher pressure area ahead of the radiator, and lower pressure under it, which will enhance airflow through the radiator, based on your speed.

Here's one I did last year:
I/(we) did a fan shroud on my helper's Jeep today, he had his fan attached with those plastic zip ties made for the purpose, and his radiator started leaking because of them, he put a new radiator in it last night, but when I saw that fan attached the same way, I said "NO WAY BUBBA".

This was an 18" x 26" cookie sheet, picked up from the local restaurant supply house, $13.95 + tax,
I cut about 4" out of the middle, I called my buddy Mike to see if he could TIG it back together for us, but he was out of gas and tungstens for his TIG, so I just used the part I cut out to splice it back together, so I just riveted the cut out piece back to both halves. Then I laid the fan in place, marked the mounting holes and cutout for the fan, drilled and cut, then attached the fan.

We used some small holes in the fan shroud to attach it, there were like 12 of them, the perfect size for self tapping screws, assuring this unit would be sturdy and secure.

Then we bent some aluminum strips, (about .040" thick), to attach the shroud to the radiator core's upper and lower frames, and attached them with self tapping screws as well.

It's been on there about a year now, and still cooling very well. We talking about adding some extra cooling holes in that one, but due to the size of the fan vs. the size of the shroud and core, we decided to wait and see if they were needed, and they were not. With that big a fan, and small a radiator core, there wasn't that much room for extra holes anyway.
Very Creative! Great Idea! Save's $$$$. I'll post some pic's in a bit to show what I have. I had to replace my dual fan relay since mine only lasted a week and was shot.I ended up getting one from (Painless performance) Glad I did because the fans blow twice as hard. I think maybe some flaps and I'll be good.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.