Cooling and exh problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cooling and exh problems

First off, on my 72 chevelle, put a set of Hooker super comps on and have crossmember problems. They are close to the floor and are headed right at the trans crossmember. The car was a SB, so would the BB one work better? The reducer actually hits on the left side, so there's not enough room to make a bend in 3 in exh. 2nd problem, GM universal rad isn't going to work. I guess I'll have to buy a alum direct fit for it. Now I have a gm and a ford style, universal, rads laying around not doing me any good. Was going with a elec fan, but may go with eng driven, after all this. that brings up another question, what fan have you all used? I know they used to have problems with the blades coming apart on some. Thanks for listening, what little bit I tried to do today didn't go so well.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM

take a picture of your exhaust? I have full 3 inch on my corvette??? chevelles have more room,hookers usually fit well.
I use a dimple core rad and it works great.The stock BB gm rad is pretty good,,,,
Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 PM

I found a Champion rad with 2 14 in fans and alum shroud for a good price. I'm going to try and notch the crossmember and box it in. The trouble is they are so close to the floor and I can only notch so much. They fit perfect everywhere else. I'll see what happens.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

This is a good rad for your car JEGS Performance Products 51901 JEGS Direct Fit Aluminum Radiators
I run a stock pump driven fan and clutch on my car. Works awesome. You can get them at parts stores still. I got it at autozone.
What part number are your headers? On a full frame car like a chevelle they should be perfect otherwise I'd send em back. That's unacceptable.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM

I called Jeg's, they said that rad wouldn't cool mine, 650 HP, they said I needed the $500 and some dollar one. Champion has a larger rad, dual 14in fans with shroud for a little less than $400. I notched and boxed the crossmember tonight, seems like it's going to work alright. I've heard clearance problems with the Hookers everywhere else, steering shaft etc., but mine fit perfect except for the trans crossmember. I even have pretty good plug clearance with the angle plug heads. I cked on the Dart block, and it's suppose to be idenical to a stock block, I thought that might be the problem. Hopefully I won't run into anything else, and I can hear this thing run soon. Right now I gotta stop and put a set of injectors in a 6.0 ford deisel. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM

My car stays cool using an aluminum dimple core rad.I dont use a fan on the water pump at all.
what engine are you using? why are you worried about over heating? are the heads aluminum or iron?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Alum dart 230 heads, 434 sbc eng. Jeg's told me it'd over heat with their rad, only good for 450 hp. They wanted to sell me a $500 one. The 1 I'm getting is a 3 core, 28 1/2 in core that is a direct fit. Tanks are 3 in like the stock one I took out.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM

My 434 doesnt over heat with my rad? I dont use a fan on the water pump.Buy the good rad then?what camshaft are you using?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM

It's a Bullet, mech roller, 640 lift, 260 dur at 050. I'm not using a eng fan, 2 14in elec on a thermostat. That rad may cool it, but this 1 will do it with no problem and the price is right.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM

post a video when its running.gotta see the power
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vht View Post
Alum dart 230 heads, 434 sbc eng. Jeg's told me it'd over heat with their rad, only good for 450 hp. They wanted to sell me a $500 one. The 1 I'm getting is a 3 core, 28 1/2 in core that is a direct fit. Tanks are 3 in like the stock one I took out.
They're only trying to sell you the more expensive part cause it's their job. The one i posted is a big rad. An inch thick! My stock rad is maybe half an inch thick and still keeps my car cool in 95*+ heat. It's up to you, if you feel better with the other one then by all means go for it. It is your car after all.
Anyway, sounds like an awesome build. Post some pics, i'm a huge chevelle fan.
Oh and those 6.0 powerstrokes are a nightmare! Worst motor ford has ever put into a truck, well tied with the 6.4. Good luck with that project.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:44 PM

6.4 is a whlole lot worse to work on. Got in another 6.0 today. On the rad, I knew I probrably use the Jeg's, but by the time I bought the elec fans and shroud it'd been more money. Champion has a nice looking set up, with a 3 row rad, alum shroud, and 2 14in fans for $369. I ordered it today, he said it'd be a direct bolt in. This thing should run decent I hope. One day I'd like to build a blower motor with efi, but a little thing called money keeps getting in the way. Friend of mine has a S-10 with a 383 sbc, 6.71, and it went 10.87 spinning like crazy with a set of small heads. He's updating the fuel sys and he's done put on a set of nice Brodix heads. I'd like to see what it runs now. It's narrowed with a 4 link, he drives it all over, and the thing handles way better than I would of thought.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

That's a smokin deal on that rad.
I still haven't figured out why ford ditched the 7.3 ps. It was their only good diesel. The new 6.7 looks cool though, wonder if its gonna have any problems like the 6.0 and 6.4...
No way I'd buy one though, I'm a d-max fan no matter what.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM

The 7.3 wouldn't meet emissions. The 6.7 is better but there's still some problems.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.