Hot Rod Forum banner

Cooling Fan for 36 Ford

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
I have a 36 ford coupe with a TCI chassis, 383 SBC, Zoop Serpentine, and a Walker Z line Radiator w/AC. In building the engine out I ran in to an issue when my hard head lead me to buy an aluminum die cast timing cover. Problem is that the cover was 1/8 inch thicker and prevented the short water pump from seating flush against the engine. So, a few bucks latter I located some 3/8 inch CNC spacers. I have now successfully installed the spacers, pump, and front end system and am ready for the radiator. My eye ball is suggesting I have a problem. As I've been looking at various pull fans (required-cooler up front), I have a growing concern over that 3/8 inch I gave up.
Is there anyone out there that has encountered this issue or similar or has intimate knowledge of the 36 Ford and could lend me some advise. I'my currently looking at the unit Walker carries and a similar unit that Vintage Air carries. My mentor over in NC lead me to the these to units, but are there others that may be even thinner.

ps...I have a walker shroud with 17inch opening but I dont' think the thickness comes in to play. If it does I could run without the shroud.

Signed,
No Overheating Wanted (NOW)

#2 ·
Not an uncommon problem alum timing cover gets in the way of the short water pump. You might just have to bite the bullet and change out the timing chain cover, there are good chrome covers out there that do not leak, I can not tell you a brand cause I am not able to see the one I have on a block at home, but try to find a bowe tie product not mister gasket that one I know will leak. I would think that the spacers you used would now effect the alignment of the rest of the pulleys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.