Cooling fan control - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cooling fan control

I have a Becool ally rad with a Becool twin fan module (made by Spal). The PWM control has failed, and they no longer sell this.
So, I'm looking for a good alternative wih 'soft' start. Needs an AC switch too. Painless aren't selling their PWM control at the moment either - anyone tried the VSC control from Flexalite? Would I stillneed my relays with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

I run one but only with single fan, U need to know the total amp draw of the two fans you have mounted and see if the flexalite will handle that output, most likely not. You could use two VSC but that gets a little costly

Not sure what the relays you mention are used for?

The flexalite has been good with my single fan system, reliable soft start, nice features with extra inputs for over-ride on/off so you could use this for the AC system for override on.

When using two fans have the fan closest to the rad water outlet come on first if you run them individually or from separate controller.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Thanks -helpful comments. The relays are required by the Spal setup as the Spal PWM is only a controller and (I presume) can't handle the current. I think the Spal fans are rated at 30A max each, so I guess if they both came on together there is the potential for 60A, but that is a huge current and the soft start would reduce that figure considerably.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

You could always run one fan manually with a drivers toggle switch to one of the exisitng relays, then install the softstart on the other fan and let is do its thing automatically. If the temp creeps up a a stop light or traffic just throw the switch and bring on the second fan based on actual engine temp. A second relay could be wired in series activated by the ignition to disable the manual fan circuit so it wont run once you shut down, just in case you forget to shut off the toggle.

The VSC needs this ignition input wire anyhow to tell it to shut down once you shut the car off. It has a built in 30 second delay to shut off the VSC fan.This is another nice feature of the unit as it provides some cool down of the rad when the engine is off. Nice as long as the battery is in good shape that is
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

Currently I'm running a griffin radiator with there shroud and a pair of maradyne M122 Maradyne M122 Series 12" very similar to the spals. To control them I went with a Derale 16789 "The Derale Cooling Products high-amperage adjustable fan controller for dual fan applications"
*Adjustment Range 150-240 degrees F
*10 deg staged fan:
-activates #1 fan comes on at adjusted temp, #2 fan comes on 10F warmer than fan #1
-turn off temps are 10 deg below turn on temps
-also an a/c override circuit
*Rated at a max of 35 amps PER fan
http://www.derale.com/
Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Well, I connected up the Flexalite VSC, and it seemed to work OK. The car sat for 4-5 days, and when I came back to start it the battery was flat. Checked the VSC, and there's a significant current draw on the fan feed even when all is switched off. So back to the drawing board...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

I'm not familiar with the Flexalite VSC, but....
When it comes to two-speed cooling fan controllers, here is my new favorite:
The Dakota Digital PAC-2700.

Read through the installation manual and see if this suits your needs.

I've used these in my last five rad fan projects this summer, mostly to run Cooling Components fans, but I did do one that was a dual Spal setup and it works great. You would need to use one relay for each fan. as shown in the 'two separate fans' diagram in the installation manual.

As far as 'soft start' goes, this unit always starts in low and goes to high after a one second delay (if the temperature or AC demands it). It never starts in high.

Hope this helps....
Old 08-16-2012, 01:09 AM

Thanks - yes, I did look at this, but it has to be mounted in the cabin and this is a killer as I don't want to route a whole load of extra wires through the already-crowded engine bay.
I'll have a look at the Jegs offering, it's not soft-start but does work the two fans independently and has the relays built in.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 AM

Last journal entry: 700r4 still running strong

Go to Nastyz28.com,theirs a sticky about using Volve fan relays w/BMW temp.sensors.Alot of good info.on how to do it.It doesnt cost much an works very well,but it does require some work.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.