Cooling fan thermostat control and relay questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cooling fan thermostat control and relay questions

I am also using a Derale adjustable thermostat fan controller but the two fans exceed the amperage rating so I need to know how to add two 30 amp relays that will control fans. I will use the Derale to9 turn the relays on but I am not sure of the wiring since the controller uses the negative wire to turn the unit on and off, anyone got a diagram to verify my wiring ???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 04:20 PM
never 2 old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvibe View Post
I am also using a Derale adjustable thermostat fan controller but the two fans exceed the amperage rating so I need to know how to add two 30 amp relays that will control fans. I will use the Derale to9 turn the relays on but I am not sure of the wiring since the controller uses the negative wire to turn the unit on and off, anyone got a diagram to verify my wiring ???

Welcome to the site. If you go to the electrical form you should be able to find the information that you are looking for.
If not, am sure someone will answer your question or let you know where you can find out. This is a real helpful site with good people.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Hook a 14 gayge wire to each realy at the #85 terminal.Use a supply from a key on source.Hook the ground control wire from the derale control to the #86 terminal of the realys. The 85 and 86 control the coil of the relay which operates it.
The power switching part is the 87 and 87 a terminals. Use a heavy lwire, like a 12 gauge for each relay, hook it to the #30 terminal on each one. Be sure and use a spot that has a big postive connection and fuse the lead to the #30 terminal as well.
Use the #87 terminal to feed the fan motors the voltage. Simply ground the negative lead for the fan motors at a good spot , like under an existing ground terminal from the battery to the body.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 PM

This is a Derale adjustable unit from 150 to 250 model # 16749 with ac /manual override wire so the fans + wires are already hooked to to + 12 volts and the Derale controller has a red wire that is fused at 30 amps going to the negative wires of the fans but the fans pull to many amps so I wanted to somehow use the Derale controller red wire to energize two separate relays that are activated by switching to ground. I have wired normally open relays to show ground when energized in the past for transbrakes and such but cant remember the terminal configuration. Hope this helps explain what I am trying to accomplish instead of using a larger relay. dont know if the controller will stand it. It got pretty hot and burned up the 25 continuous relay and I opened the controller and it looks like it got pretty hot in there but it is still working. maybe a 100 amp solenoid would do the trick.. but I have relays and harnesses on hand.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:07 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

See attached wiring diagram that should fit your situation.

vicrod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2 fans 1 sensor .pdf (212.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Hey thanks for the diagram but that only works when your fans are not wire to 12V+ constant. I have used that configuration before and it works with a sensor that is preset however the Derale adjustable unit uses a sensor to send ground to the controller and then the controller uses a relay to turn the fans on by supplying ground to the negative wires of the fans thus leaving the option of adjusting the on / off temp. see the wiring diagram for this unit Thanks..http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../der-16749.pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf derale-16749 wiring diagram.pdf (71.1 KB, 54 views)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.