cooling help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 07:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post cooling help!

Ok guys what do you think? Let me break it down.

I have a cooling problem but it is one sided. I have an 83 camaro with a 60 over 350 pushing about 370hp, A th350 race ready with a 3000 stall converter. I have a tranny cooler & a oil cooler.

I was haveing a huge problem cooling the motor while driving down the road. The faster I went the hotter it got but at an idle it would run very cool. I had a 2 1/2 core rad. And was running 2 16 inch elec fans. One pulling and one pushing. I invested In a griffin rad one of the big ones It's a 2 1 1/2in core rad. Now The faster I go the cooler it gets and At an idle it over heats. What do you guys think? I cant help but think that because the rad is so thick that at an idle it is to hard for the fans to get air through the rad. I'm not sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2003, 09:27 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Justspeed., what therostat are you using? what type of coolant? Let us know if the rad is shrouded or not as well.
Slider in Wa.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:10 PM
SBC and foot in the carb

Justspeed, did this just happen after a recent rebuild? If so, the head gasket may be on wrong and failing to allow the coolant to travel through the block and heads correctly.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:44 PM

Ok guys. I am running a 160 stat with three 1/4 inch holes drilled in it. I am running antifreeze.

This has been am ongoing problem for quite a while. I have been fighting this cooling problem for about three years, ever since I put in a new motor. But I know its not the heads gaskets because I have changed the heads three times in the last three years. I wish I could just find the happy medium. It used to run cool at idle and run hot at high speed and now its the other way around. I really dont drive the car because It is my project car but I still dont like the fact that when I do drive it it does not run cool. I dont know if I should look for a new water pump pully that is smaller to speed up the water flow or if it is already flowing to fast. I have know idea even though I keep running through and checking everything.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Well not sure on what the problem is now...? But before when you had the problem of running hot while on the highway I can tell you this... Any of the later model Camaro`s (1982 and up) have a little plastic air damn up under the front end that directs air to the radiator... The most common issue is curb bumpers... They tend to make the air damn become detached... Not a good thing... This little plastic part is basicly vital to allow for highway operation (for correct air flow to the radiator...) It can be bought from the dealer for about $18...?

For your problem now...? Possibly the fans are interfearing with each other...? One should do... I would also consider changing the water pump but a stock unit should be fine (no need for anything wild...?) It is possible you have a block problem...? Is it grouted...?
Old 06-05-2003, 12:54 AM

Great feedback. I do have an air damn.

I have know Idea what grouted means?

Do you really think it could be a block problem? I changed rads and the problem turned around?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:08 AM

Last photo:

You just need more air though the radiator when in traffic or stopped, i would look for a shrouded electric pulling type fan. I had the same problem till i installed this, Be Cool duel fan set up From Summit part # BCI-75007.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:30 AM

I would change to a standard drive fan instead of the electric. Alot of electric fans will not move the required CFM. As your driving down the road and it heats up, the problem is the fans are not turning fats enough and might be getting in the way of the air flow at cruising speed.

Try a different fan.

Good luck
Old 06-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I agree with the above. What you are describing is air flow problems both B4 and after the new radiator. In order of preference for fans are 1) stock fan w/shroud, 2) stock puller fan w/o shroud, 3) BIG puller electric fan w/ shroud, and 4) as a last resort ONLY, a BIG pusher electric fan.

Dual puller/pusher electric fans are a bad combo. Most electrics don't move enough air at speed to service the engine, the saving grace is that there is often enough air being pushed past it to cool. Dual fans set up a blockage to air flow which causes overheating problems.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

The duel puller fans that I'm talking about are built with a shroud with flap doors at the top and bottom to let air blow through when on the highway, This is good stuff not the technology from 15 years ago. But a belt driven fan and shroud will work better if you have the room, i don't.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by roys63:
<strong>The duel puller fans that I'm talking about are built with a shroud with flap doors at the top and bottom to let air blow through when on the highway, This is good stuff not the technology from 15 years ago. But a belt driven fan and shroud will work better if you have the room, i don't.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I have seen them in Summit and Jegs catalogs. Key to their success is the shroud which covers the entire radiator core and the two medium sized fans pull a lot more air than a single large one.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:51 AM

I sure thank you guys for al the insight. I did try going back to the manual fan a while back but it did not help. It could have been because I can not find a shrowd. Seems the small block f-body's are rare in the junk yards. I am thinking that I will go agian and look for a shrowd this weekend and put a flex fan on and see how it works with this bigger rad that is in it now. And when I said I was running 2 16 inch fans with one pulling and one pushing I mean they are mounted together. One on one side of rad and one on the other. The air flow is great that way but seems not to be enough. And now that I think about it the only reason I ever went away from the manual fan was because at an idle the motor was not turning enough rpms to turn the fan fast enough to pull air through. I think that will still be a problem. Keeping it cool at low speeds and at idle is the problem at hand.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I understood your fan setup and I still think it would tend to limit natural flow. Is your engine compartment really cramped? Do you think air is having a hard time getting out past the engine?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:55 PM

I really dont think that the compartment is to tight. I feel flow has to be good. I'm thinking I will pull off a fan and see what happens. I think it will get worse but I will find out. I will then leave a fan and add a manual fan to see what happens provided I can find shrowd. I dont know what else to do. I will keep everyone updated as to what happens.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Here's a thought, probably not a good one, but here it is! What if the hot air from the engine isn't moving out fast enough? Cooler air in and not enough hot air going out. At highway speeds, the air is moving faster to help push it out, but at a standstill or slow speeds, could the hot air just be circulating instead of leaving the engine compartment? Other than a louvered hood or a cowl hood, what else would help? Just a thought!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.