Cooling Indication - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cooling Indication

Where can I find a detailed wire diagram of the for the cooling system on a 1988 k3500 454tbi. Replaced both temp indicator sensors above ex manifold. replaced temp sensor by thermistat. Replaced whole cooling system, Rad/Pump/Therm/Hoses. The eng temp is normal by feel. hot H20 on top hose, cool H20 on bottom hose. Indications run at 240 Plus, after shut down, gage will peg out. I suspect I have a bad wire. But the real problem is it runs rough at idle, as if it was telling the MAP sensor the eng is hot. I replaced the map sensor. When I pull off the temp sensor off the drivers side manifold it shows O on the gage, this wire seems to ground out, its not the sensor, tested that. Any input on this????????????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

A big block running that warm should be spark knocking or detonating, is it?
Also you need to be sure that the temp is reading correctly so you will need to check the coolant temp against what the gauge is reading.I use an infrared thermometer with lazer pointer.Makes it pretty simple.just point it at the thermostat housing where the hot water comes out when it is hot, and compare to gauge to be sure of its accuracy.
Need to be sure of engine temp as gauge could be wrong.dont wanna fry your engine either .
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 PM

Thats a great Idea, Never thought of that, I have one at work i can use, I''ll let you know Wednesday if it works. thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Heads are hot

Use the inferred Thermometer, all indications ck normal, I found the heads are around 270 plus, the temp senors are located right above the exhaust manafold, and they read at 375. Do I have a problem with the heads? I had new guides put in and cleaned up, they looked really good when I installed them. Or could it be I need to readjust the valves? If the valves are not closing all the way, could this be the problem?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

My guess is you have the wrong head gaskets. When you replaced the heads after the valve guide job you may have installed the wrong head gasket and now the water is not flowing through the heads.

vicrod
Old 11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You will never get an accurate reading above the exhaust manifold. You should get a meat thermometer and stick it in the radiator while running. Be careful because it is it truly running that hot it will boil over without pressure on it.
Grounds are real important to the system. Once you prove the water temperature is lower than what the gauge reads, I would look for a ground issue.
The other thing is if you have access to a scan tool see what the computer thinks the temp is.
In a truck that old you need to suspect wiring and the most common wiring issue is failed or disconnected grounds and the bad thing is they dont always show up right away

Chet
Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
My guess is you have the wrong head gaskets. When you replaced the heads after the valve guide job you may have installed the wrong head gasket and now the water is not flowing through the heads.

vicrod
No I got the expensive gaskets and put them on the right way, I believe my antifreeze was too concentrated, but my timing may be off a bit. I'm going to retime it next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the reply. Paul
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
You will never get an accurate reading above the exhaust manifold. You should get a meat thermometer and stick it in the radiator while running. Be careful because it is it truly running that hot it will boil over without pressure on it.
Grounds are real important to the system. Once you prove the water temperature is lower than what the gauge reads, I would look for a ground issue.
The other thing is if you have access to a scan tool see what the computer thinks the temp is.
In a truck that old you need to suspect wiring and the most common wiring issue is failed or disconnected grounds and the bad thing is they dont always show up right away
Ya, I believe I may have a ground problem too. I had one sensor reading higher than the head so I may have a bad sensor. But the temp switch by the thermostat housing is accurate, is this the only switch that runs the computer,what tells the computer to adjust the Idle when the engine gets hot? Thanks for your help.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.