Cooling issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cooling issue

I have 50 Packkard that runs and dirves fine.. until the temp of the engine rises to normal road temp, then I loose most of my radiator fluid throught the over flow tube at the top just under the cap. I was thinking that the thermostat was bad but the fluid comming out is extremly hot, leading me to believe that its an oil issue
(oil not being circulated correctly.) any ideas?

I ran into this issue before and it was a water pump. but water pump is running fine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you have a head leak that is heating the coolant, causing the overflow. Stop by a radiator shop if you can and have them hook up an analyzer on the radiator. It will tell them right away if thats the problem!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

im doing that today among other things. Im starting to think may be just a thermostat issue though. Thinking its stuck open and getting the slow cycle effect. gonna have it checked any way...

Update!!!!!!

After taking the thermostat houseing off (snaping a bolt in the process) I found there was no thermostat in the houseing. no wonder it was over heating.

Last edited by Nemisis; 02-07-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

well....
t-stat came in along with my rebuild kit... kanter rules!!!!!
update on the issue. dont think that it was the fact that when I took off the t-stat houseing there was no t-stat. Im thinking that it was all the sludge in the
channels around the cylinders. I pulled the head off and found that there was sludge almost up to the head fill holes on the block. also found 3 of the holes blocked off from rust scale. cleaned it all. wire brushed the 50 yrs of carbon on the pistons, valve heads, and block deck. e-z outed the bolt I snapped. Gonna put the new head gasket and t-stat on tonight and replace the plugs and wires.

SHE'LL PUR BY DAWN!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Have you thought about having the system power flushed by a radiator shop once you get the block back together? If there is rust and scale at the coolant passages at the head, there must be some throughout the block. I've never had this done before, but I have heard of it and it may help. Just an idea.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

In essence, thats what I did. just the had way. I a shop vac up to suck out the water and used a power sprayer (for control) and cleaned out the block, head and radiator. She runs like a dream now. I still have to adjust the carb due to the heat differrance. Now I'm confident she'll make it to Viva lasvegas in april for sure.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 PM

if you have changed the engine in the past did you also put the right heat sensor in it.it may be giving you the wrong reading.did that when changing a 305 for a 350 in my van.gave me a good run before i remembered to change the sensor too.it said i was hot when i wasn't but i wasn't taking a chance with a new motor and put a new 406 init i had also before it hit me.i felt sorta simple at the time.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

haha... wasnt looking at the reading. It was just dumping its water on the ground. I did how ever just put in the new head temp sensor (kanter auto rules)
but thats a good suggestion.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.