Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cooling Issues. Even With No Thermostat
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cooling Issues. Even With No Thermostat

I have swapped out a sbc 350 into a 91 camaro, and for whatever reason I cannot keep it cool. If im zipping around town only going about 5 miles it will stay at 180 with no thermostat the entire way. If I go any further it will climb and climb until an uneasy 230. Needless to say I check it with a heat gun and pull over when necessary. I bought a radiator for a camaro z28 with a 5.7 assuming that was where my issue lied (because originally it had a 3.1 radiator)

Im actually baffled because they are identical to the T in size. Same dimentions all the way around with a 1 row. I am using an electric fan wired to a switch so I keep it running as soon as I turn a corner. It has the original shroud, which as I read more and more does wonders to keeping it cool.

Heres another one, being it a new radiator I popped the cap one day and realized this flaky brown crap floating around ( see the pictures ) so I had assumed the coolant jackets inside the block probably had some built up deposits since it is from the late 70's. I put in some Coolant Cleaner and have yet to flush it out only because I have ran it probably a total of 30 minutes run time with the cleaner in.

My question is would I be correct on assuming those are deposits breaking down floating in there? And I have heard from everywhere 2 different sides to a thermostat. 1 that it is only used to get the motor up to running temp. 2 that it allows the coolant in the radiator to actually cool down before it enters the motor. < and if #2 is the case, why wouldnt a thermostat stay open all of the time if it reaches 190, essentially if it is open all of the time...thats just like running it without a thermostat..?
Attached Images