Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cooling Issues. Even With No Thermostat
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
The thermostat does NOT let the coolant cool down easier, whomever thinks that needs to pull their head out of their ***. On a street car a thermostat is necessary though to maintain enough heat in the engine, running too cool is just as bad as running too hot. As mentioned, system pressure reduces localized boiling, which is important, and airflow across the radiator is needed to remove the heat from the cooling system.

Unfortunately, this is some misinformation. The t-stat does affect the cooling of the coolant almost as much as it maintains heat. The t-stat stops coolant flow through the radiator when the engine temperature has dropped enough to close it. This allows the coolant in the radiator sufficient "soak" time to shed the heat that it has absorbed, and allows the coolant in the engine time to absorb sufficent heat from the combustion process. You can have all the airflow you want, but if you are pushing roughly 75 gpm or more (a SBC W/P is easily capable of this) through the rad, and the system only holds about 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 gallons, it will not cool down. This is not fancy, or "opinion" information, this is basic automotive theory.

My head is not "up my ***", I am both provincially and federally licenced as an Automotive Technician here in Canada, with about 17 or 18 years of hands on trade experience, including a 4 year compulsory apprenticeship training program.

Last edited by sbchevfreak; 10-27-2011 at 12:47 PM.