Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Cooling problem (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cooling-problem-231254.html)

DrBee 03-28-2013 11:33 AM

Cooling problem

The situation: I just finished installing A/C and heat in my '41 Chevy. It has a SBC 350 Chevy. I filled the radiator with Anti-Freeze. Off I went for a test drive. The temp went to 210 degrees after the test drive. When I stopped, the radiator boiled over.

Additional facts: I had a 7# radiator cap, replaced engine fan with an electric fan and shroud. I did not "burp" the system before running. The thermostat is a 180 degree and the fan is on at 195 degrees and off at 180 degrees.

I'm replacing the radiator cap with a 13# and "burping" the system by running the engine without the cap until it comes up to normal operating temp.

Question: Should I run the heater to purge it or is running it without the cap enough ? Any other suggestions ?

S10 Racer 03-28-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBee (Post 1661149)
The situation: I just finished installing A/C and heat in my '41 Chevy. It has a SBC 350 Chevy. I filled the radiator with Anti-Freeze. Off I went for a test drive. The temp went to 210 degrees after the test drive. When I stopped, the radiator boiled over.

Additional facts: I had a 7# radiator cap, replaced engine fan with an electric fan and shroud. I did not "burp" the system before running. The thermostat is a 180 degree and the fan is on at 195 degrees and off at 180 degrees.

I'm replacing the radiator cap with a 13# and "burping" the system by running the engine without the cap until it comes up to normal operating temp.

Question: Should I run the heater to purge it or is running it without the cap enough ? Any other suggestions ?

In addition, I would drill an 1/8" hole in the thermostat to help with purging air in the system.

46streetrod 03-28-2013 04:34 PM

A little more info needed. What fan are you running ? There are fans and there are fans.Cheap fans are not good fans. Also are you running a Tri=nary switch on the AC to control the fan. Are you running the stock Radiator? If so I would be leary of running a higher psi cap, If its a newer radiator go to a 16 lbs cap .For every 1 lb = 3 degrees over boiling point.Also what is the air gap between the condenser and the radiator?

Richiehd 03-28-2013 06:00 PM

Yes, purge the heater core, but honestly you may have other issues. You need more air flow.

Custom10 03-28-2013 09:16 PM

As far as the fan goes its a good idea to have a manual over ride to make the most of it. Where is the AC condenser? sometimes under the belly can free up air flow on the engine rad.

You gotta bleed the thing of air.

DrBee 04-05-2013 12:02 AM

Cooling problem

Thanks Guys. Problem appears to be solved. I burped the system, replaced the thermostat and drilled a 1/8" hole in the thermostat. It's running at 180 degrees now and when it gets to 195, the fan comes on and drops it back to 180. I've run it in town, on the freeway, uphill and downhill and no problems encountered yet. :thumbup:

alanmurfee 04-05-2013 05:55 AM

Great knowing that your problem is solved. Is the 180 degree temperature too high for your vehicle?