Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cooling question
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 08:17 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I have to agree! With a 180 thermostat, temp running up to 200 is perfectly normal, or even as high as 210-215 on a hot day. Water doesn't even start to flow fully until 180, so it's going to get a little hotter as it starts flowing. Some of the dirt track racers remove the thermostat and just use a restrictor plate, sometimes adjustable, but that's no good for a street driven car. The thermostat cycles to keep the engine around 180 degrees, so it will vary from 170-210 or so -- perfectly normal. As someone else pointed out, there could be a lag or just a difference between the sensors also. I just ignore the fan sensor and set my fans by the temp gauge. My temp sensor is adjustable and turns on and off at the same point, and has no temp setting on it. you might want to go with something like that rather than a set sensor, but I'd leave it alone. An engine NEEDS to run at the designed temp for best performance and lowest emissions. I don't know why people want to reduce the temp of the engine, some engineers spent a lot of time figuring running temps out!