Cooling Question for Auto Tranny - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cooling Question for Auto Tranny

My son and I just bought a 48 Chevy Coupe... drive train (350/350) is roughed in, but the whole thing needs a lot of love. We'll need to address the radiator for sure. Here is my question: Would running the trans. lines thru a radiator be enough? Or should I skip the radiator and just go w/an auxil. cooler for the tranny? OR do I need both the radiator to do it's thing, then run tranny fluid thru an auxil.? The lines already are crimped so I'll have to deal with them anyway. Any thoughts?? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Last photo:

If the radiator has the capability for trans lines I would use them, if not use an external cooler. The thought is radiator trans line are more for heat than cooling.

Vince
Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

If you use an auxillary cooler,route your lines to it 1st,then back thru the radiator to maintain proper temp for the fluid.The aux will remove any excessive heat 1st while your radiator will keep it @ the proper temp.Too cold fluid is bad for the tranny as well.They say 170* to 180* is the ideal temp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jokerZ71 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (12-05-2013), Denny (11-27-2013), techinspector1 (12-03-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

If you live in colder climate I'd do it like joker said. If you live in blazing heat like me ( central Texas) then bypass the radiator an just use the external cooler. Their are external coolers that have a built in thermostat also.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogwater For This Useful Post:
Denny (11-27-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBEAU View Post
My son and I just bought a 48 Chevy Coupe... drive train (350/350) is roughed in, but the whole thing needs a lot of love. We'll need to address the radiator for sure. Here is my question: Would running the trans. lines thru a radiator be enough? Or should I skip the radiator and just go w/an auxil. cooler for the tranny? OR do I need both the radiator to do it's thing, then run tranny fluid thru an auxil.? The lines already are crimped so I'll have to deal with them anyway. Any thoughts?? Any help is appreciated.
I think the standard cooler in the radiator is enough, this sufficies for Chevs from passenger cars through pickup trucks which pertty much has the 48 bracketed weight wise. Towing in high gear is probably the hardest on the transmission and the largest maker of overheated oil, you'll note because of this the 700R4/4L60/4l60E does not operate in 4th overdrive nor with converter lock up in that situation.

However, if you want to add an external cooler I would plumb it to the external cooler first then to the radiator cooler so as to provide a warmed oil at constant temp to the trans which happens to like the oil temp pretty much right in the range the engine likes it's coolant temp.

Bogie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (12-05-2013), docs57 (12-09-2013), techinspector1 (12-03-2013)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.