cooling a Toyota SBC and changing bolt pattern - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cooling a Toyota SBC and changing bolt pattern

My kid is building an early 70's Toyota Celica with a 350 SBC on a very tight budget. It's running now, but he's being stubborn about using the stock Toyota radiator. He asked me how he could get it to cool better. He has a mechanical flex fan I gave him on it now, but of course it's overheating. I told him to start by building a shroud for it, which he is going to do this weekend. Also told him to maybe pick up an electric fan at the wrecker and put it to push in front of the rad. Do you guys think this will do it. I know it won't be perfect but this is obviously not going to be his daily driver.

His other problem is that he is using the stock Toy. front end (it seems to be suprisingly OK), but he is looking for a way to change out the 4 bolt wheels to 5 on 4.5 to match the 9" rear he spent a ton of money on. (shortened axles alone cost over $500) Any ideas on this? Thanks guys for any help. I know this is not the best way to do all this but, you know, money!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

Last edited by fast68; 04-21-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Anybody have an opinion?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

Opinion here. An early 1970's Toyota Celica had about 120 or 140 cubic inches in the engine. You now have a 350 cubic engine, the radiator is too small. It does not have the area of fins and water tubes necessary to transfer 2 1/2 times more heat to the air. Another option, only drive it when the temperature is below 40 degrees, and raining. With a 350 in a Toyota, in the rain, drive carefully.
I believe five on a 4.5 is a Ford pattern. You might get lucky and find some front disks off a Ford that might work, with a possible bearing change. You might have to swap out the spindles.
Try looking for a Toyota forum on the internet. You might find some information there about a disk brake swaps that somebody else has done.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Last photo:

Daniel is right, the radiator is inherently too small for a Chevy V8. Your on the right track though with a properly fitting shroud, the electric fan is a bad idea. No matter where you place it, in front or behind the radiator it's restricting airflow. The proper way to cool a car is with a mechanical fan, good shroud and an adequately sized radiator. It is beyond reasoning how your son can expect a stock Toyota radiator to cool a small block Chevy IMHO

Vince
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

I have to admit I agree with you, but he's going to go this route anyway and find out the hard way. I was trying to talk him into a better radiator, but no. At least he's not going to spend a ton of money to find out it won't work. He's done a nice job on the car so far.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownver
I have to admit I agree with you, but he's going to go this route anyway and find out the hard way. I was trying to talk him into a better radiator, but no. At least he's not going to spend a ton of money to find out it won't work. He's done a nice job on the car so far.
Just don't waste any money on the electric fan will fix anything BS.

Vince
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

at least have a radiator shop rebuild and clean the radaitor out, maby even get a quote on making 1 that will be big enough, but bolt in as factory...
Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

I have had a little experience with a small car and a SBC. I replaced a 2.8 in a Fiero with a SBC. I used an electric water pump due to space and the stock radiator. It keeps up with my SBC in Florida weather but there are things that can hurt that. Air flow, does it over heat with the hood up? I put a large vent in my hood to let the heat out of the radiator. That helped. Make sure the timing is right, too much or too little and it will cause it to run hot. What pressure is the radiator cap? I believe the one I am running is 22 psi not the stock 17 psi. The higher pressure raises the boiling point of the water and keeps it from developing steam pockets.
Are you running a thermostat? Make sure its opening, check and make sure all of the hoses are the same temp. If one side of the radiator is noticeably cooler then you could have a flow issue.
The nice thing about the electric water put is I can run it with the motor off and work out all of the air pockets.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Jake Dragon, he's got a mechanical pump, but I figure he can do all the cheap stuff and see how it goes. If he has to he can have the rad re-done with a thicker core, but a price on that was $500.00. We'll see.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Mazda 79-83 RX7 3 row rads will cool a V8 easily, fit anywhere a 4 cyl rad will fit too. The factory rads are two row but you can get 3 row aftermarket versions pretty cheap. You could try a junkyard two row first but I would just buy a new one in 3 row, the junkyard will give you dimensions. They have flat flanges and can fit anywhere.

Here's one, $200.

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ma...rr4330791.html

I don't know of any other cheaper alternatives, the Mazda stuff is as cheap/good as it gets.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tip 4jaw. I'll certainly pass this on to my son. Right now he's busy building a shroud out of fibreglass. I told him it would be a lot easier to make out of sheet aluminum, but as I said before he's stubborn. I have no idea where he get's that from!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.