Copper Pipe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 03:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Copper Pipe

Hell everone,
I got the stock of my life today a lowe's in the pluming dept.
1 inch hard copper is $51.00 for a 10 foot peace.
3/4 is $36.00 for a 10 foot peace.
A I need at least 50 to 60 feet.
I heard it went up a little but that much.
Even copper wire is getting out of reach.
What in the world is going own?
I guess 1 inch galvanize is looking better all the time.I have a bender so I can bend what I need and . I had my heart set on copper.Boy that's a lot of money ($306.00) for copper
Any input, or help?
Thanks, Kenny G

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 03:57 PM

I've said this before, but for any plumbing pipe, fittings etc,go and make friends at a plumbing supply shop, wholesale. most of those guys will get you a good price and better quality than Lowes or Home Depot. If you lived here I could get that stuff for you way under 100 bucks, and that would be solder and flux too. Don't pay out the tail for compression and definitly flair fittings are nono. Soldering is easy to learn, I taught a guy in a bar using bar stir sticks for props. E-mail me and I can tell you the basics in an e-mail. plumbermike@amaonline.com
Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G
.........Even copper wire is getting out of reach.
You think that's bad try building a house. When we started 12/2 wire was $48 for a 250' roll. A couple weeks ago we had to get one more roll and the price was $102 for the same roll. Glad we bought almost all of it up front at $48 cause we have over a half mile of that stuff in the house now. That's not counting the 3/4" and 1/2' copper water lines.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:

Yep, 3 weeks ago, 12/2 stranded 500 foot rolls were $52.00 at Home Depot, now they're at $71.00. Funny thing is, wire is still cheaper at Home Depot than it is at a wholesale electric supply place.
And, if you think that's bad, you have to see what's happened with the price of PVC fittings and pipe since all the hurricanes went through the gulf and messed up the refineries. Some of my PVC stuff that I use on a daily basis has tripled in price!

Later -Karl.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

Over here the prices on copper at the big box HD and Lowes are usually pretty close. Less than 10 months ago you could get a 10ft 3/4" L stick for under $12. Now 3/4" M type even costs more than that. And now the 3/4 L sells for around $16 a stick. 1" L stick I believe is close to $40.

Got lucky a month ago at HD on 2 sticks accidentally charged as M for $13. The last of the 9 sticks I needed, it helped. I don't usually take everything they say, but they mentioned it supposed to go up 70% on price. No way I could have done copper over there with your prices Kenny.

Plus there has been lots of theft too on the local news recently on copper. New and especially used scrap at the recycle plants and wherever its laying around, saying its often stolen since theres no way of keeping track of it and easy to get money for it. So keep your copper in a safe place. Going to be worth gold it looks like.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:37 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Take this for what its worth...

3 years ago , when building my shop (30x40x12), I went around the whole shop with 3/4" B.I.P. and have outlets every 8'. Out of the 14 outlets, I don't use ANY OF THEM!! I put in 2 hose reels, and I use those exclusively. $69.00 at H-F for the HALF INCH x 50' (Nothing less) , and it has worked flawlessly. I MAY install them on the ceiling, for more convenience. What a mistake! Seems that everywhere I want to put a cabinet, the darn air tap is in the way!! Same with my outlets !
Old 06-22-2006, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Been, I know someone can get junk at Harbor Freight but there are some real bargains to be had too and those reels fall into that category. When I retired I spruced up my garage at home and I bought several items at HF most of which is worth far more than it cost. The HF air hose is junk, at least the hose I am familiar with, but they have genuine Goodyear hose at give away prices so The reel we are talking about with 50' of quality Goodyear hose can be bought for less than $90 bucks, That is a bargain!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:42 PM

One Inch Copper Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by problem solvers
I've said this before, but for any plumbing pipe, fittings etc,go and make friends at a plumbing supply shop, wholesale. most of those guys will get you a good price and better quality than Lowes or Home Depot. If you lived here I could get that stuff for you way under 100 bucks, and that would be solder and flux too. Don't pay out the tail for compression and definitly flair fittings are nono. Soldering is easy to learn, I taught a guy in a bar using bar stir sticks for props. E-mail me and I can tell you the basics in an e-mail. plumbermike@amaonline.com
I can Already solder pipe, I have everthing to put it to gether.
I will take the 60 Feet of one inch copper pipe for $100.00 and will be glad to pay you for your time, shipping packing and travel. Just let me know what you want to do?
Please advice?
Thanks, Kenny G
Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I'm pretty sure the trend nowadays is pex tubing for all the waterlines (heating and domestic) in homes. Not sure how the prices compare to copper today as historically the pex tubing was cheap, but the fittings were really expensive so the overall costs were higher. The savings were in the labor, you can rough out a lot quicker using individual runs with no joints. But with the price of copper, I'd bet the pex tubing is looking pretty good. (even though i'm sure the pex has gone up as well)
Old 06-30-2006, 10:48 AM

WOW!!! Did I get a surprise this morning. I plumb houses, upgrades on old mostly, so I haven't used I" copper in 15 to 20 years. I know it has skyrocketed in price, but I did not know this much. We've been using Pex now under houses, and at first cost the same as copper, just flows better than copper and flame free installation etc. My main wholesale connection says black iron pipe, is the cheapest way to go. Plastic just won't hold up under air but works great with water. sorry for the misinfo, There was a similar discussion last week with galvanized pipe, but black is a lot cheaper, just not protected against water. you could save enough to buy your own threading dies at Harbor Freight. E-mail me if you need to. 58chevy on 6-20-06 AARGH!!!!! What am I doing wrong is worth reading.

Last edited by problem solvers; 06-30-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:34 PM

Last journal entry: more pics of my '41 Plymouth
Last photo:

Pex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by problem solvers
WOW!!! Did I get a surprise this morning. I plumb houses, upgrades on old mostly, so I haven't used I" copper in 15 to 20 years. I know it has skyrocketed in price, but I did not know this much. We've been using Pex now under houses, and at first cost the same as copper, just flows better than copper and flame free installation etc. My main wholesale connection says black iron pipe, is the cheapest way to go. Plastic just won't hold up under air but works great with water. sorry for the misinfo, There was a similar discussion last week with galvanized pipe, but black is a lot cheaper, just not protected against water. you could save enough to buy your own threading dies at Harbor Freight. E-mail me if you need to. 58chevy on 6-20-06 AARGH!!!!! What am I doing wrong is worth reading.
Ok, I just had a 40ft piece of bad galvenized pipe replaced & the oringinal quote to use copper was $400 but I guess he used PEX that used clamps instead of like PVC & glue & my bill was $180 he said copper prices went through the roof.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:51 PM

your cheapest is still black, the pex is great but crimping tools will set you back 200+ and pex can be cut with a sharp knife, do want that in an active work area? Eitherf way the average guy will have to buy tools to do this, but is that a bad thing? A guy can't have too many tools can he?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.