Hot Rod Forum banner

Correct a Cap

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Sky65 
#1 ·
I am trying to clean up the appearance of my SB in a 65 Corvette. I have a MSD 8572 tach drive distributor. It uses a stock points style cap. I would like to use one of those caps that organize the plug wires by bank nor firing order. Anyone know of one that will fit? The MSD-8017 cap says it's for a "vortec distributor". What does that mean?

Thanks
Tom

#2 ·
vortec distributors are DIFFERENT than the conventional window cap .. and vortec distributor caps have almost that exact same internal cross conductor pattern..

if the distributor is installed with the #1 piston on compression stroke.. with the rotor pointing when standing in front of the motor.. at about the 5:30 position angle. kinda pointing at the left front corner of the intake manifold.. the spark plug wires will all be the proper length.. to fit properly..

edit..
edit.. well.. the cap will fit window type delco distributors.. http://www.msdignition.com/Products..._-_Chevy_V8_HEI_Retainer_Distributor_Cap.aspx

#9 ·
I keep this page bookmarked, might help you out if you just want organized or want to run the wires under the headers.

Readers' Tech Tips - Circle Track Magazine

Hope the guy who posted it got a free jacket for his diagram...I use it all the time.:welcome:

Reactions: Sky65
#10 ·
Interesting. I currently run the wires down the back of the block and under the headers. I never thought of re-orienting the wires on the cap for better routing. If I can't fine a crab cap ill try it. I hope my wires are long enough!

Thanks
Tom

#13 ·
Well I finally got through to MSD today. They do not make a replacement crab style cap for a points style distributor. They also do not make an adapter crab cap to install on a stock cap. So it looks like am going to move the wires on the cap as suggested by 4 Jaw Chuck

Thanks
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.