Correct electric fuel pump! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 09:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Correct electric fuel pump!

I have a Holley street avenger carb double pumper and I bought a electric fuel pump 6 - 9 psi but it isn't enough for my eng! I have a 383 stroker 370 hp and I am trying to find what pump do you recommend? I'm thinking 12 - 15 psi but am not sure! Don't really think I need a regulator, but please advise, thanks, Dana (part #'s would be great also)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

Exactly which pump are your using now?

How did you verify that you have an insufficient fual supply?

I've used plain old Carter mechanical fuel pumps on engines with a bit more power than you currently have without a problem for years.

Larry
Old 08-05-2006, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

Pump

I have a Delco electric pump and it won"t hold pressure, starts out at 7psi after it builds up but doesn"t hold. ( I have done all the tests) I mean everything! I think I'm going to go with Holleys 125 GPH new pump! Part # 510-12-125! Thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Kinda a cool mechanical fuel pump http://www.racepumps.com/features.html

Mustangsaly
Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Rear Armrests
Last photo:

On a carb, you want about 4 -9 psi at the carb inlet, with 9 psi being the max. More than this and you will push the needle off the seat and overfill the bowl, causing a rich condition or total flooding.

What you are really looking for is volume. Based on the numbers you gave, I think the Holley red pump would work fine. Doesn't require a regulator and should flow enough fuel for your engine. Flows 67 gph while maintaining 5 psi. 510-12-801-1 is the part number from the Jeg's on line catalog. If you think about it, this pump will supply an engine running at 134 mph and getting 2 mpg.

Almost all electric pumps with higher volumes have pressures which will exceed 9 psi and will require a regulator. The advantage here is for drag racing where you use a lot of fuel on launch and you have acceleration g's trying to force the fuel backwards through the line. The higher pressure pump will help maintain the forward travel of the fuel and the regulator at or near the carb will assure the pressure at the needle and seat is acceptable.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

correct pump

Redsdad, GREAT INFO!!! Exacly the info I have been looking for, I will take your advice with the Red Pump, ( I have heard good things about this one also) One last que,I am a little restricted on keeping (about 3-4ft) at the end of my fuel line pretty straight, quite a tight figure "S" should this matter or should I just try and figure out a better way so it is more of a straighter entry to my tank? Also (Sorry) can my pump be say closer to my carb vs my tank due to restrictions? A Big thanks again! Dana
Old 08-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Rear Armrests
Last photo:

Electric pumps "push" better than they "pull". So the closer to the tank, the better. Straight lines are best. Gradual bends next. The lower the angle the better (if you can do it with 2 - 45's, that's better than 2 90's). If you have to go tight 90's, can you increase the fuel line size? I've seen guys run the electrics up by the engine with all kinds of tight bends. Two problems with this. If you have a fuel delivery problem, you are never sure what caused it. Second, you may have to pull everything out and start over. Better to do it as good as possible first time.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.