Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - correct steps?
Thread: correct steps?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK, # 1 If your looking to Napa in Canada for paint, try their Auto Body Supply store it's called C-Max. Some Acklands stores carry a full line of Dupont, if you want Dupont from Acklands you will need to phone around, they have many Acklands stores in Vancouver and the Burnaby area. Of all the primers you listed, I wouldn't recommend any of them when SPI Epoxy will do all that you need and sand better as well and in all probability cost less. If you look in the Yellow Pages, I'm sure that PPG will be represented as well. As far as solvent based base coat in Canada now, what you are left with is Dupont's Nason, PPG's Omni for the brands you mentioned...if you want Chroma Base, Chroma Premier, Deltron or Global Base Coat you will need to go state side for it because of VOC laws in Canada.

#2 If you are going to use SPI Epoxy, they do have several Distributors in Canada, If you Like I can get you the contact information...they stock it here, it's VOC compliant and then there is no need for for 2K primer as it does have good build and sanding qualities. I would strip the entire car to bare metal, repair the rusted areas with new metal, epoxy primer , filler work, epoxy primer, guide coat, repeat until car is straight, final prep block in 400 dry or 600 wet, 800 wet if using water born base coat and clear.

#3 "Crownver is right...cut out the rust and replace it with metal or as he mentioned you will be redoing it shortly.

#4 To fix the door cut enough of the rusted area out to the point where you have good clean, unrusted metal, cut the rusted out area in a square so that it will be easier to cut a patch panel, use your sandblaster and clean the inside panel of the door, cut a patch panel sligthly smaller (and I mean slightly, like 1/8 of an inch over all or 1/16 of an inch on each of the sides. Start welding by tacking in the corners, then space your welds about an inch apart until the panel is totally welded in without any spaces left, it should be a solid weld, grind then weld smooth and follow step #3.

If I have missed anything and I'm sure I have, let me know and I'll try and help you out.

Ray

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 03-14-2013 at 09:57 PM.